I need some help...

LiSa K.
on 6/23/14 8:59 am - TX

I'm 8 years out as of this month. I have put on about 40lb and very upset with myself. I guess threw the years I forgot about my tool and just ate whatever whenever. Now I have another wake up call before I get to where I once was,I want to get back on track. It's been 8 years and I've forgotten things. I excrise almost everyday but my question is, How many oz can you eat at a time to start to lose weight again? I'm letting myself eat about 6oz 3xs a day but I feel sooooooo hungry. I've tried the 6 small meals aday but feel so guilty. Any ideas? Thanks

dragonlove
on 6/23/14 9:12 am
RNY on 11/20/13

The key think (IMO) is to follow the rules.  Here are the biggies I can think of.

* Do not drink with your meals, or after meals for 30 minutes.

* Eat at least 60 grams of Protein every day.

* Drink at least 64 ounces of fluids every day.  Water is easiest for your body.

* Stay active.

* Eat your protein first and you'll find you get full faster.

* Stay away from calorie high foods like high carb, high fat foods.

With all this said, I'd try to cut back to whatever your surgeon's plan was for about a year out.  Each is different.  Right now I'm 7 months out and I'm on 3 meals @ 3/4 cup and 2 snacks, all concentrated in protein.  

Because you are feeling hungry all the time, I'd try for some variation of that.  Eat a high protein meal, after 30 minutes, drink, drink, drink.  After a few hours when you are hungry again, eat something else fairly small with high protein for a snack.  Then repeat.  Protein takes longer to digest, so you feel full longer.  If you are getting "hungry" quickly after you have eaten, then you might be fighting cravings / head-hunger and you aren't really hungry after all.  Those cravings are the big battle.  Check out other postings on here for things people do to distract themselves from cravings.

I think it is great you are working to get back on track!  Good luck!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Shannon L.
on 6/23/14 1:20 pm - streator, IL
On June 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM Pacific Time, dragonlove wrote:

The key think (IMO) is to follow the rules.  Here are the biggies I can think of.

* Do not drink with your meals, or after meals for 30 minutes.

* Eat at least 60 grams of Protein every day.

* Drink at least 64 ounces of fluids every day.  Water is easiest for your body.

* Stay active.

* Eat your protein first and you'll find you get full faster.

* Stay away from calorie high foods like high carb, high fat foods.

With all this said, I'd try to cut back to whatever your surgeon's plan was for about a year out.  Each is different.  Right now I'm 7 months out and I'm on 3 meals @ 3/4 cup and 2 snacks, all concentrated in protein.  

Because you are feeling hungry all the time, I'd try for some variation of that.  Eat a high protein meal, after 30 minutes, drink, drink, drink.  After a few hours when you are hungry again, eat something else fairly small with high protein for a snack.  Then repeat.  Protein takes longer to digest, so you feel full longer.  If you are getting "hungry" quickly after you have eaten, then you might be fighting cravings / head-hunger and you aren't really hungry after all.  Those cravings are the big battle.  Check out other postings on here for things people do to distract themselves from cravings.

I think it is great you are working to get back on track!  Good luck!

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!  I actually got in touch with the original facility that did my surgery, and was told "Without knowing all of the details, I would suggest that you consider the following:"   

What you posted is what I was looking for.

Cathy W.
on 6/23/14 12:08 pm

Dragonlove gave you a great list to follow.  I'd also like to add "Don't Graze."  Grazing is a bad habit that leads to weight regain. 

Go back to what you ate when you were losing weight.  Journal your food and activity.  You can use OH's Health Tracker to track your food and activity.  I'm 13 years post-op and had a couple of weight regains.  One of the things that helped me to get back on track and on the losing track was journaling my food and activity. 

You don't say in your post what you're eating.  6 ounces of what, 3 times a day.  I don't think that only counting ounces of food is a good way to track.  Track the amount of lean protein, veggies, fruit, complex carbs and fats.    Our tools still work but we have to work them.  As far post-op that we are, it is the equation of calories in/calories out (activity). 

You've already taken a big step by reaching out and posting about it. 

jastypes
on 6/24/14 3:54 am - Croydon, PA

I am 7 years out.  I had a 45 pound regain, which I was able to re-lose (plus some more).  I went back to support group meetings, met with a dietician who works with bariatric patients, and work the 12 steps of Overeaters Anonymous.  I have a plan of eating I'd be willing to share, but the truth is that you have to find what works for you.  My dietician prescribed 3/4 c. to 1 c. of food per meal.  I don't always get that right, but it is a guideline.  I definitely eat 6 times a day (a meal can be a skim milk latte, or fruit, or a sugar free greek yogurt), but eating that often helps regulate my blood sugar and keep me from getting really hungry.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Shannon L.
on 6/24/14 4:14 am - streator, IL
On June 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM Pacific Time, jastypes wrote:

I am 7 years out.  I had a 45 pound regain, which I was able to re-lose (plus some more).  I went back to support group meetings, met with a dietician who works with bariatric patients, and work the 12 steps of Overeaters Anonymous.  I have a plan of eating I'd be willing to share, but the truth is that you have to find what works for you.  My dietician prescribed 3/4 c. to 1 c. of food per meal.  I don't always get that right, but it is a guideline.  I definitely eat 6 times a day (a meal can be a skim milk latte, or fruit, or a sugar free greek yogurt), but eating that often helps regulate my blood sugar and keep me from getting really hungry.

Would you post it please?  

jastypes
on 6/24/14 4:23 am - Croydon, PA

No sugar. No fast food. No corn chips.

Meal #1 - 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.

1-2 proteins (2 eggs, or 1 egg and 1 oz ham, etc.)

1 grain (1 sl bread or ½ c. oatmeal, etc.)

(I want to be able to throw some veggies into eggs -- onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms)

Meal #2 - 10:30 a.m.

1 piece of fruit or ½ c. cut up fruit

Meal #3 - 1:00 p.m.

2 oz protein with 1 c. raw salad with 1 tbsp dressing or ½ c cooked veggie and 1 starch

OR

Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones with salad or a fruit

OR

Subway meal (turkey/flatbread/veggies/fat free or baked chips) or

McDonald’s meal (salad/grilled chicken/low fat dressing/croutons)

Meal #4 - 3:30 p.m.

Fruit or dairy (I love dannon light and fit flavored greek yogurt)

Meal #5 - 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

2-3 oz protein with ¼ c. starch and ¼ c. veggie or a salad

(I want to be able to eat 6 oz of lasagna or pizza if it’s planned in place of protein/starch -- but this will be rare)

Meal #6 - 9:30 - 10:00 p.m.

Either a single item or two different items, i.e. dairy or fruit or starch OR fruit/cheese, cereal/milk

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Shannon L.
on 6/24/14 4:30 am - streator, IL
On June 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM Pacific Time, jastypes wrote:

No sugar. No fast food. No corn chips.

Meal #1 - 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.

1-2 proteins (2 eggs, or 1 egg and 1 oz ham, etc.)

1 grain (1 sl bread or ½ c. oatmeal, etc.)

(I want to be able to throw some veggies into eggs -- onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms)

Meal #2 - 10:30 a.m.

1 piece of fruit or ½ c. cut up fruit

Meal #3 - 1:00 p.m.

2 oz protein with 1 c. raw salad with 1 tbsp dressing or ½ c cooked veggie and 1 starch

OR

Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones with salad or a fruit

OR

Subway meal (turkey/flatbread/veggies/fat free or baked chips) or

McDonald’s meal (salad/grilled chicken/low fat dressing/croutons)

Meal #4 - 3:30 p.m.

Fruit or dairy (I love dannon light and fit flavored greek yogurt)

Meal #5 - 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

2-3 oz protein with ¼ c. starch and ¼ c. veggie or a salad

(I want to be able to eat 6 oz of lasagna or pizza if it’s planned in place of protein/starch -- but this will be rare)

Meal #6 - 9:30 - 10:00 p.m.

Either a single item or two different items, i.e. dairy or fruit or starch OR fruit/cheese, cereal/milk

Thank you....

CHELLEYGIRL
on 6/24/14 6:54 am - PALMDALE, CA

Yes thank you so much! I was looking for an easy guideline like this. I too need to lose weight again and am getting back on track.  

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1139 views