Back on track.....once again!

cor p99
on 7/5/14 6:47 am

Here we go once again! Need to get back to the fundamentals, I know I can do this :)

My weight crept up a bit over the last several month****ting an all time post surgery high of 175. AlthoughI'm  currently at 169, I need to lose some pretty bad habits I've allowed ... And boy, are they hard to shake!

My goal is to lose 6lbs in two weeks. I think 3 Lbs a week is reasonable. Let's see....

Any veterans out there with words of advice? How did you get back on track?

I jus ordered a vita-mixer...so hoping to incorporate one protein shake per day to help get me started.

Love this site, reminds me that I can never go back to auto-pilot and expect to see results. I will always love food. In articular, I'm a snacker/grazer.... Very dangerous combination! I have come to terms with the fact that I must always work at this, and that's just fine with me. Thanks in advance for the support.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 7/5/14 11:46 am - PALMDALE, CA

I am right there with you. I also have to get back on track. I've allowed so many bad habits of eating the wrong foods and grazing to happen again. I know I do not drink enough water or get enough protein. So I am going bacl to proteind first and then veggies. Try to get in at least one protein shake a day. and.... WATER WATER WATER!!!! 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/14 12:03 pm - OH

Personally, unless you really LIKE protein shakes, I would go back to basics with just "real" food and skip them.  They are often part of a "diet" mentality that can be self defeating (remember how well doesn't worked before you had surgery...?)  Better to reinforce the eating that you will continue going forward once you get those re extra pounds off...

Focus on protein first (dense proteins will keep you feeling full longer) and limiting carbs. If you are a snacker and you currently only eat three meals per day, you might consider eating six smaller meals.  That will lessen the urge to snack and has the benefit of keeping your metabolism up  and your blood sugar more stable throughout the day.

I have yet to meet anyone who cannot lose their regain by honestly going back to basics and controlling portions, so II have no doubt whatsoever, that you too can get Tahoe extra pounds back off!

I normally have a 5-pound weight creep limit (at which point, I eliminate all snacks and almost all non-protein carbs (dairy and beans) and try to increase my water intake), and it usually only takes a couple of weeks to get it off.  For me, 3 pounds every week wouldn't be realistic (but that isn't to say that it isn't for you). To do that would require that I seriously dropped my food intake ("dieted") rather than just being vigilant about following the high protein, limited carb regimen.  I would personally rather settle for 1-2 pounds a week with no "dieting" required.

Let us know if there is some specificway we can help.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyRe_Do2014
on 7/5/14 11:20 pm - Reisterstown, MD

Hi, I'm new to this site...so far so good. 

You mentioned dense proteins and eating proteins first. What are dense proteins? Could you give a couple of examples of a breakfast, lunch & dinner?

Thanks

My Re_Do2014

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/14 12:48 am - OH

Dense proteins include things like beef, pork, poultry, seafood (especially tuna and shrimp, but most seafood other than very flaky things like crab), beans, and hard cheeses.  Some people also find eggs very filling.

Things like yogurt and soft cheeses don't stay in the pouch very long so don't keep you feeling full.  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cor p99
on 7/5/14 1:04 pm

Thanks for the advice... It really is appreciated. I absolutely love smoothies. If adding some protein can help jump start me...well that's just bonus. I'm going back to tracking my calories too. And yes, can't forget to drink lots of water (which can be difficult for me).  No secret formula, I know... But it is always helpful for me to simply log my intentions and record my progress and challenges. 

Thx again. Wish me some will power as I get through carb detox... Lol!

White Dove
on 7/5/14 3:41 pm - Warren, OH

To maintain 169 you need to eat about 1800 calories a day.  To drop three pounds a week would require eating 1500 calories less a day or 300 total.

A reasonable plan would be to try to drop a pound a week for six weeks, by eating about 1300 calories a day.  If I lost six pounds in two weeks, I would gain it back in one week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MyRe_Do2014
on 7/5/14 11:10 pm - Reisterstown, MD

Dear 'Back on Track Once Again' I too am in the same situation as you. I'm looking for a support person to share tried and true techniques.  Please keep me posted on what may be a good Re_do.

Thanks,

MyRe_Do2014

Most Active