Should I purchase a scale?

TheNewT
on 7/15/14 12:47 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I am 20 days from VSG surgery on August 4th. I have been wrestling with the decision to purchase a scale. Years ago when I lost a significant amount of weight I did have a scale in my house. I weighed myself everyday, sometimes twice. I don't want to become obsessive with the scale again, but I know I am at my best behavior when the scale is right there. The consequences of eating correctly or poorly will display, flashing in angry red! However, this surgery success can be measured in more than just the scale number...right?

Should I purchase a scale? Have any of you made this journey without a scale in the house?

Chrissy72w
on 7/15/14 1:22 am - Philadelphia, PA

I'm scheduled for August 5th and I'm wondering the same thing.  But I'm more afraid of the scale and it not move.  Although I'm dedicated to the weight loss, and have been working hard, there is still that girl inside of me who has always been disappointed with her weight struggles.  I'm probably going to buy one.  I'm curious if there is a certain kind that's better than others. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/14 1:26 am

I have a scale. I use it.I do become obsessed with it. But I like to make sure that I am doing the right things. If I find I am becoming a slave to it. I ask my daughter to hide it from me.

Everyone is different. Some people only weigh themselves when they go to the doctor.

Karen M.
on 7/15/14 1:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

I've always had a scale. I weigh myself each morning to ensure I'm sticking to healthy habits and not gaining. It keeps me honest and accountable, which I need. I don't obsess or stress about the scale or the numbers it shoots at me, but it does make me pause and think if there's a pattern of gaining. It's worked for me - 8.5 years post-op and happily maintaining.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

White Dove
on 7/15/14 5:29 am, edited 7/15/14 5:29 am - Warren, OH

My scale is the most important tool in my weight control arsenal.

I would not be maintaining at almost seven years out if I did not weigh myself every morning.  Sometimes the news is upsetting, but I need to be upset and I always know why it has moved up.  Not having a scale would give me permission to eat what I wanted and just gain and gain.

I recommend a Tanita at about $50.  There are many models to chose from.  Do not buy the solar powered on, they do not work well. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TexasLady52
on 7/15/14 6:17 am
Revision on 06/10/14

One of the best advise I was given.......do not obess the first month about your weight.  You have just put your body through a lot.  The first month you need to focus on just letting your body heal!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/15/14 6:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I bought a new scale right after surgery that measures weight, BMI, etc.  I weigh myself every morning.  The most important thing to remember is to not let that number on the scale affect you negatively if you don't see the results you want immediately.  I tend to lose weight in waves, then stabilize, gain, then lose more weight, even though I'm completely eating on plan.

Like the sleeve, your scale is a tool to help track your progress.  Don't let it make you feel like a failure or you might try to justify eating poorly to soothe your anger/pain/depression/anxiety.  There is nothing more wonderful than watching those numbers go down.  I take great pleasure in losing 10 pounds that puts me in a new second digit category.  

Good luck with your surgery.  I'm sure you'll do great.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 7/15/14 6:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I love my scale.  I have a Withings scale that syncs with TrendWeight.com and it's perfect for me.  I'm someone who gets REALLY obsessed with numbers and I was pretty worried about weighing myself pre-op, but TrendWeight is amazing.  It lets me focus on the trend instead of day to day fluctuations.  This lets the numbers become a mere data point and nothing more.  

I'm sure you can do this without a scale, since your clothes will tell you the change and you can also measure your body.  I'd be sad without my scale though.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TheNewT
on 7/15/14 6:42 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think I will purchase a scale....after the first month. During the first month I will put the Doctor's office scale to work.  I will agree to weigh no more than once a day. I will plot the number on the graph so I don't have to focus on the number solely, bu****ch the graph line go down!!!!

MsBatt
on 7/15/14 11:04 am

When I had WLS, I didn't own a scale. I weighed only at the doctor's office, and I never suffered a stall. I bought a scale when I was six months out and 100 pounds down, but I bought a cheap one that didn't last long. I never replaced it because I found I obsessed with it and it made me unnecessarily unhappy.

10.5 years later, I still weigh only a the doc's office. Since I was 18 months post-op, my weight has been bouncing up and down by about five pounds.

Most Active