Question For EVERYONE out there about Protein Shakes

andy M.
on 7/21/14 3:15 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Hello everyone, I hope everyone out there is doing great today. My day wasn't to bad....I had a quick question for everyone. I know everyone out there takes protein, lol its basically like air to us WLS patients. My question is....Where is the cheapest place to purchase Protein Powder for shakes???? As of right now I purchase my protein through my doctors office. They have the Bariatric Advantage Brand. It costs me $70 for a 35 serving bag ( 2 scoops is one serving and i do it 3 x's a day). So basically i am spending roughly $140 a month just on protein. And when I add in my vitamins and regular medication, i am spending roughly $200-$215 a month just on protein and vitamins. And to me that's a lot of money. So i was just curious if anyone knew any good places that sell it cheaper? I am only 2 months post surgery, so I been using what the doctors office has to get me going, so I haven't researched anywhere yet like wal-mart or gnc or amazon, etc...So please give me your input!!!

Andy

shoutjoy
on 7/21/14 8:19 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi Andy,

I would be cautious about getting any protein.  Some are very tasty and digest well.  Others are chalky and pasty and really gross.  However, I think Unjury is cheaper than what you are getting.  It is formulated for bariatric patients too.  You can order on line.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

gammongirl64
on 7/21/14 9:57 pm

Hi Andy

I agree, Unjury protein powder is great! I am 3 weeks post op and doing well. I also buy my chewable multivitamins and calcium citrate from Unjury.

Valerie G.
on 7/21/14 11:48 pm, edited 7/21/14 11:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are definitely ways to save money.  Surgeon's offices charge top dollar.  Getting an idea of what you really need from lab results (my guess is they should run them around 3 mos post op).  I couldn't see what surgery you had, but VSG, not incurring any malabsorption, doesn't require anything more than the standard normie would.  I'm a DSer, and have successfully pieced together a vitamin regimen for my needs, and only have one protein drink per day as 'insurance', but I can eat 100g of protein with real food.  Most of what you need can be found at your local grocer or drug store, so it will pay to shop around and definitely seek out BOGO deals on vitamins.

• Eat strategically.  Know your high protein foods that are easy to get down and eat them every day (ricotta, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, dark meat chicken, any slow-cooked meat, jerky).  This will cut down your need for protein shakes.
  • Everybody needs a multi vitamin.  Centrum or it's generic equivalent is just fine.  I take a triple dose, while others only need two (VSGs just need a single dose)
  • Extra calcium is also usually recommended - Calcium Citrate is easiest absorbed.
  • RNY's, because of their anatomy, do not absorb iron and B vitamins well anymore, so they need extra of those.
  • RNY and DS patients need dry versions of the fat-soluble vitamins (A and D).  Some need E and/or K, but not everyone.  DSers need mega-doses that scare nurses, and we fight them every time we talk vitamins at the doc's office.  Our bloodwork supports our needs.  These are the only vitamins that we cannot locate at any local drug store, grocery or Walmart.
  • Some need more or less - let your bloodwork be your guide.

Amazon and vitalady.com are my two go-to online sources.  This is a starting point, but you should be able to cut your costs in half here before long.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/14 11:49 pm - OH

I personally disagree with your assumption that protein is "basically like air" to WLS patients.  Some people never have a single protein shake post-op and do very well.  They just have to make sure they eat nothing but protein early out.  Some surgeons -- like mine -- discourage them except when VERY early out because of all the chemicals they contain, and encourage us to avoid all chemical-laden, processed food items (like most protein bars) that some people call "frankenfood". That is part of the reason some surgeons put their patients back on soft foods right away (Day Three for my surgeon, assuming no problems with clear liquids the first day and full liquids the second day). Real food is better for you and is much less expensive.

Everyone's taste in protein powder is VERY different even if their taste in food is similar.  At 7 years out, I still mix protein powder into my morning SF hot chocolate to make sure I don't have to be concerned about getting in my protein every day, but -- other than as emergency food (I have hypoglycemia) -- I don't otherwise drink protein shakes or eat protein bars. FWIW, my favorites are the Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte (makes my hot chocolate taste like I melted a marshmallow in it) and the Unjury Chocolate Splendor (NOT the Classic chocolate).

Try to get as many samples as you can so you sont waste money on a whole tub of something you cant stand.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eggface
on 7/22/14 12:16 am - Sunny Southern, CA

See if your Dr can prescribe your vitamins and protein (term usually in insurance docs is medical food)... perhaps your insurance would cover them or at least some. 

Quality of protein makes a BIG difference in whether you want to hurl just bringing it to your face or look forward to a frosty treat ;) so careful of buying a big tub o crap. Taste test if possible. Travel packets/sample sizes are often available from companies. Also remember as you begin to eat more real food the need for shakes will lessen... I drink more shakes in the summer because I get meh about cooking/cleaning up in the heat and I make protein ice cream and some baked goods and things with it so I probably use more than the average person. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Bette B.
on 7/22/14 12:35 am

I get Body Fortress (I think that's what it is) for about $16 a tub at Walmart. Cheapest I've found anywhere.

But I will agree that what *I* like and what YOU like may be two different things. I have noticed, tho, that even the crappiest tasting protein can be made better with blended fruit or extracts like peppermint or almond.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

TruemansMom
on 7/22/14 12:38 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I keep Unjury chicken soup and unflavored on my counter at home but for convenience I buy RTD  Premier Protein drinks at Costco. 18 drinks for 25 dollars, on sale for 20 every few months. I like them ok, drank a lot of the chocolate in the beginning, switched to vanilla when that got old,  but prefer the strawberries & cream if I can find it. The sweetness gets to me sometimes so I add cinnamon or some kefir to change it up. Speaking of which kefir is a great source of protein and calcium and all natural. In the begining I sampled lots of powders and did not care for many. RTD works best for me.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

eringudge
on 7/22/14 4:43 am
RNY on 07/28/14

My dietician recommends Syntrax Nectar or Unjury. 

I buy online, I got two BIG canisters of the Nectar Chocolate Truffle and on smaller unflavored for about $75 online from AllStarHealth, with free shipping.

This should last me through my liquid and soft food diet, and likely beyond.

andy M.
on 7/22/14 3:18 pm - fairfax, VA
with

thanks everyone for their advice...It really helps to have this website!!! Its amazing how many people are out there just like me on here, and how quick you can get answers/suggestions from people who KNOW what your going through! Once again THANK-YOU!  **(So far it seems unjury.com is looking like the winner)**  And just to answer a few of the responses, when i said protein is like air to us WLS patients, I meant protein, not protein shakes, sorry for the way i said it....Also my doctors office doesn't charge top dollar, they sell their bariatric advantage products the same price as the website does, so the doctors office is a little cheaper because i dont have to pay shipping...But thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Most Active