Atten. people with a sweet tooth

pebtash
on 7/23/14 12:57 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I have a question? I don't have a problem with some carbs like pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, etc. But I do have a problem with sweets. I am leaning towards the sleeve and I still have to talk to the doctor but I am a little concerned about my sweet tooth after surgery. I am so addicted to sweets. Any suggestions other than talking with the surgeon? What did you have done and how has it worked for you. Any advice would be helpful. I am seeing the surgeon in Sept and trying to make a list of questions but my biggest one is this sweet tooth thing. Thanks in advance.

hollykim
on 7/23/14 1:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no surgery is going. To fix your sweet tooth. That is all going to be on you. You will have to choose to eat sweets or not and then do everything in your power to not eat them,if that is what you choose.

only 30% of ppl with RNY dump on sugar,so you can't rely on that. also,most rnyers who do dump can still eat a small amount of sugR and not dump on it. If you want to eat sugar with a RNY,you will find the way that works for you.

with the vsg,sugar and sugary foods start turning into liquid sugAr as soon as they hit your mouth. You can eat a lot of sugary foods with the vsg because sugary foods don't cause much restriction,as they dissolve so quickly.

with the DS,even with the  malabsorption ,sugR is absorbed 100% so that isnot going to. Help with a sweet tooth,either.

the bottom line is,no Wls is going to correct a sweet tooth. It is all about the choices you make.to keep a sweet tooth down,you will have to detox from sugar and not ever go there again  or. The cravings will start up again.

Jiliana2
on 7/23/14 1:27 am, edited 7/23/14 1:27 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I recommend SF Russell Stover sweets and chocolates.

I log it just as I do with any foods into My Fitness Pal and assuming I have the space available to do it, once or twice a week, I might indulge with one piece of SF chocolate. This has worked for me to keep the sugar cravings at bay! So far anyway.

As the previous poster noted, this surgery doesn't remove a sweet tooth. That's all in my head and I'm developing coping strategies to make sure I can handle it in SEVERE moderation. Not like I was doing before surgery!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Ladytazz
on 7/23/14 4:23 am

I eat SF Russell Stover candy and I love it but it is NOT low calorie.  I eat it because I don't react to it like I do real sugar but like you, it is a treat, not a regular part of my diet.  Also, I have found that although I am very addicted to refined carbs, sugar and gluten, eating sugar free and gluten free products does not trigger me like the real stull does.

With real sugar stuff once I start I can't stop.  It sets up cravings that get stronger and stronger.  Sugar free stuff I can take or leave.  It is not uncommon for me to come across some sugar free item I bought months earlier and forget I had.  That never happened with real candy.

I have bought some sugar free ice cream in the past because it looked good and then after one serving I forget I have it.  Then I will see it at the store and buy it again and find the first one.

Last time I cleaned out my freezer I threw out at least 2 cartons of sugar free ice cream with one scoop taken out of it, because it was old and freezer burned.   That is why I stick to making my own protein ice cream.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Tracy D.
on 7/23/14 4:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you're like me, eating sugar-free isn't going to fix the sweet tooth.  In fact, I want to eat just as much SF stuff as I do the full-of-sugar stuff.  And that's a disaster because the alcohol sugars in the SF stuff will cause BAD gas and explosive diarreha.  I'm seriously sensitive to it but there's also a warning right on the label that says "over consumption may cause intestinal distress".  No kidding - ugh!  

As another poster said, no surgery is going to fix your sweet tooth.  Like many of us, you probably use sweets to make yourself feel better...or to not feel at all.  I've gone to therapy to figure out what feelings I'm trying to push down with food and I go to Overeaters Anonymous because they recognize that sugar can be just as addicting as alcohol.  I treat sugar like an addictive substance and avoid it.  My life is always easier and more serene when I'm not eating recreational sugar.  Whenever I fall back into the sugar trap my crazy/obsessive thoughts and cravings kick into high gear.  And my life starts getting a whole lot more complicated.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

pebtash
on 7/23/14 10:53 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

That is me. I have really bad reactions to SF things. My clinic wants me to do a certain protein shake 2 weeks prior to surgery and it is made with the sugar alcohols. I am seeing them again 2 more times before surgery so I did find one that doesn't have and sugar alcohols in it I can put stevia in it, I am going to ask them if I can do that instead. I do feel that sugar to me is just like alcohol to drinkers. So I'm afraid to have any at all. Once I lost 100 pounds and catered my daughters wedding I had to try everything to make sure it was okay for the guest and couldn't get back on the diet after that. So I wasted one year losing and in just a couple of days to ruin it for good. Thanks for your post.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/23/14 6:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

No wls will cure a sweet tooth, I still have one but I choose to go the protein bar route which they are over glorified candy bars but usually it's less calories than a regular candy bar & I have to count it along with my calorie count for the day. I usually don't count calories, but I track what I eat, so if I have it listed I know how my calories went for that day. Eating 1/2 the bar & saving the rest for later works for me, as well as having no sugar added popsicles.

Going cold turkey from sweets never worked for me, but cutting back, tracking and eating those 100 calorie snacks has worked. You have to do what's best for you as far as sugar goes, but don't depend on wls to solve it for you. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

kathkeb
on 7/23/14 6:15 am

Some people work to moderate their intake of sweets and have success with that.

For me, 50 years of life experience told me that I can't do that.  Once I start eating sweets, I crave them in a way that is like 'drug seeking' behavior.

So, 5 1/2 years ago, I ate my last cookie, my last candy bar, my last piece of pie, my last piece of cake.

I have had ice cream 4 times in the past year and it was a mistake to go back there.  Every day, my brain tries to tell me that a little ice cream won't hurt .... 

I work an OA program to maintain my abstinence from those foods.

Kath

Valerie G.
on 7/23/14 6:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I am a DSer and a bonafide self-declared sugar ****  Sometimes I'm in complete control, other times, notsomuch.  I allow myself something sweet daily to keep from bingeing, but when I feel out of control, I start protein loading. It takes a couple days but it works.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Noragretz
on 7/25/14 6:52 am
VSG on 09/05/14

I feel your pain, I'm right there with you. Serious candy sugar addict... but I am okay not eating pasta, potatoes, rice, bread too.  Daily chocolate fixes.  However, I did manage to kick my sugar habit once and didn't crave it. I went almost a year, then decided to treat myself.  I've been telling my doctor for years that I need help and that it's like my heroin, and I can't quit. I'm addicted, I need help.  I usually get a laugh, but no help.  I too am worried after surgery, my only hope is that my stomach just won't hold much of it.   

I was reading about sugar and addiction one day and was lead to the UCSF lecture - Sugar, the bitter truth. By Dr. Lustig. It's on youtube if you are so inclined to watch it. 

Anyways it goes on to say that sugar is a toxin and processed in the liver just like alcohol (alcohol is a toxin).  Basically you can be addicted just like an alcoholic.  Now I come from a family of alcoholics and fattys.   The alcoholics are slim, the fattys are sugar addicts. Go figure!

I sure hope I can kick it again...

Most Active