What was "THAT" moment when you realized you are in fact obese...

D66
on 7/23/14 11:56 pm, edited 7/24/14 2:28 am

As we go through life we have "THAT MOMENT" episodes.

What was that moment that you had that has put you finding help for Obesity and getting something done about it with WLS?

Mine: My mother continued to make comments about my weight. Such as: You're the biggest you've ever been. You better not gain anymore or that will not fit anymore. So on, so on. Every year in June I host a family reunion that turns out a crowed of about 50 to 70 people. Yet again, my mother made another remark out loud about my size. I brushed it off but the looks on family faces around me were terrible. Some had looks of agreement and others were appalled. However, I just brushed it off my shoulders and went on with the event. Tried laughing it off by moving the conversation to the point I was making jokes towards myself. My husband on the other hand was livid and pissed to the core. So mad that his voice went hoarse for a period of time. I kept trying to keep him calm so that he would not explode (he's a retired Navy Master Chief). The following week I returned to work and was walking down the hall to take care of something. As I walked by an area of a glass wall I caught a full glimpse of myself. My steps started to slow down to a snail pace and I stood frozen. I thought who in the hell is that person...it was me.  S-L-O-W-L-Y I made my way to my desk chair and fell into it. The memories of recent family reunion, failed marriage (ex husband said he'll never have a fat wife) and so on caused tears to flow. I could not believe that even though I've tried losing weight many times that I was in denial about where my health was going. I was losing control of my destiny and just living day by day...So, I reached out to two friends whom had surgery and asked tons and tons of questions.

So, now I'm working towards putting my life back on track and YES with WLS. All my other methods has failed. Now, I'm in a better state of mind and pleased with my choices to do so.

Thank you for reading...it had been on my heart for sometime to share. I've not shared with anyone out side of Obesity Help. I figured you all would be able to understand where I'm coming from.

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 12:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me it was spending a weekend at my parents' house and seeing myself naked in the full length mirror in my bedroom there. Also feeling really uncomfortable in their kitchen table chairs which have arms. (Those chairs now leave me with room to spare!)

When I got home from that weekend, I scheduled an appointment with my PCP to get the ball rolling. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

D66
on 7/24/14 12:21 am

I see with your chart you're progressing beautifully. Congrats!!

I can't wait to be on the OH Bench 

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 8:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks.  I've had a very steady trend, which suits me just fine!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cece2014
on 7/24/14 12:19 am

Thank you for sharing. I think we all have "that story" but don't really look at it for what it is ... a way to see ourselves differently from the view we carry around in our head.  I cannot point to one incident, rather a series of instances over several years, and several weight levels.  None really seemed to be the last straw until recently when I could not walk from a restaurant to my car w/o breaking out in a sweat.  And my son calling me the next day saying "Mom, I'm worried you won't be around; you took care of me, now take care of yourself!"

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

D66
on 7/24/14 12:22 am

What a wonderful Son....

Thank you for your comment

Adner65
on 7/24/14 1:19 am

I've had several moments of oh my gosh I'm obese, the most vivid is when I was at Cedar Point with my family about 10 years ago, I knew I to was  big to go on any roller coasters. So me and my 5 year-old daughter were in the old fashion cars, she was in the front and so excited to drive me around, I was in the back and I had to get off because the seat belt wouldn't latch. It was heart breaking. I looked into weight loss surgery then, but my insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve as a stand alone procedure. Fast forward to this year, I work as a nurse in a long term care facility, as I was walking down the hall way I saw an extremely obese patient (who actually probably weighs less then me) sitting in a wheelchair and I thought that's me in less than 10 years if I don't do something about this weight.  Newly sleeved and already almost all my joint pain is gone. Excited about my future:)  Brenda 

D66
on 7/24/14 1:28 am, edited 7/24/14 2:29 am

Brenda, I must say that I can't wait to get rid of some of my weight for the same reasons.

My joints are wearing thin.  I can't work on something in my yard or in flowerbeds without taking several breaks. Most times I'll push myself to the point of exhaustion then take a cool shower and go to bed for a nap or even in bed for the rest of the day.

I'm so excited for you

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/14 1:34 am

Just seeing myself in pictures really upset me.I was killing myself with food.

Bonnie250
on 7/24/14 8:50 am
RNY on 08/25/14

yeah i know how you feel. Pictures are really harsh. My family and friends recently went on a weekend camping trip and lots of pictures were taken. I was the heaviest person there, and looking at some of the pictures were quite shocking to me, seeing my "GIRTH" as others see me, really made me feel depressed, So How are you doing now? I am sure we'd all love to see your latest pics! I am having RNY (gastric bypass) in August, really excited. Met with my surgeon today for my pre-Op appt....so HERE WE GO....It will be here before I know it...Well, best wishes to you and the best of health to you!! I bet you are looking amazing now! how's those 3 Bassitt Hounds? lol I have a pit bull mix...Hes a big baby!

Most Active