Weight gain

Cknymom
on 7/25/14 3:52 am

Approximately back in October I switched from Splenda to regular sugar due to roller coaster blood sugar effects.  I have since gained about 30-35 lbs.   I am a HUGE coffee drinker.  20oz in am. Sugar and whole milk.   I know what I need to do but seem to not be able to get back on track.  Feeling down on myself.  Feel like a whale and am very depressed over the whole situation.   Anyone ever feel like this?

DawnMillington
on 7/25/14 4:23 am - CT

One of my dr's gave me a med for my migraines and I packed on close to 40lbs and I feel like a horse lol!  I got off that med, got more active, am trying to get back on track with my food intake and I dropped 8lbs.  Still depressed and feel like a horse but I'm just trotting a tiny bit lighter   Just remember how far you've come and you CAN get back to where you want to be.  For me, I don't ever want to be where I was again it wasn't living just existing so I use that for my motivation.  I'm pretty confident everybody has ups and downs, so put that chin back up gorgeous and let's do this together! 

Kate -True Brit
on 7/25/14 4:26 am - UK

A loss of control is something most of us understand.  But it is really difficult to say anything except "you know what you do".  

I drink lattes and I add a bit of caramel syrup (real stuff not artificial sweetener ) but I find fat free milk tastes just as good as whole milk and I have a measured amount of syrup ((I bought a pump) which is just 30 calories.  I can do that, just one a day. My breakfast latte gives me just 120 calories and I choose to use it as part of my daily allowance. 

But some people can't limit themselves and so the only way is to go cold turkey and stop drinking it. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Gwen M.
on 7/25/14 5:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you tried other sweeteners?  Perhaps Stevia?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ladytazz
on 7/25/14 10:17 am

It sounds like you may be physically addicted to sugar.  Don't laugh, it happens Sugar Addiction.

Some people don't think you can be addicted to sugar.  I'm not one of them.  I have a die hard addiction to sugar (and other things).  It was the number one reason I regained 100 lbs after my first WLS.  A DS.  A practically fool proof WLS, except for simple carbs, which are absorbed 100% with any WLS.

Anyway, if you are addicted to sugar then the only way to beat it is total abstinence, like alcohol for alcoholics.  Moderation doesn't work for die hards like me.  And detox from sugar is real.  I remember the first time I went off sugar I broke out in a rash all over my body.  I went to my doctor and he asked if I had made any changes in my diet recently and I told him I stopped eating sugar.  He said the rashes were from the toxins leaving my body.  I believe it.

The good news is that with total abstinence the cravings do end and will continue to stay away.  As long as you don't consume any.  Stopping is damn hard.  It took me having major surgery (my revision) being sedated and medicated for a week for me to get through it this last time.  I don't think I could have quit any other way and I remind myself of where my addiction took me every day when I am tempted to eat "Just one".  There is no just one for me where sugar is concerned.  I may lie to myself and convince myself that I can handle it now but it isn't long before I am coming to in a bed of cookie crumbs and candy wrappers and my second thought, after first promising myself never to do that again, is where can I get more?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1380 views