Band over previous bypass.

Toobcherished
on 8/16/14 12:43 am - Henrico, VA

Hi everyone!  I've posted this on insurance forum but it's not very active.  Figured I would ask here as we'll.  I had surgery 4 years ago and am now left with no restriction. I originally lost about 121 pounds but have gained 20 of those pounds back. I've fought those pounds for about 6 mons I realize it's not a lot but it's troubling me. I really want my restriction back.  I'm curious I had the bypass with another insurance with no problems through anthem. Now I have united healthcare and my company does not have a rider on their policy. If I do this it would be self pay. would this be considered lapband surgery ? Does anyone know the cost for self pay with that. Is it possible to get some things paid for by the insurance company such as anesthesia and self pay the rest. Curious how this worked for some of you! I probably can scrounge up $5,000-$7,000 out of pocket.

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

White Dove
on 8/16/14 1:01 am - Warren, OH

It is normal for the restriction to be gone by now.  Your new born baby pouch has grown up to an adult pouch and can hold a lot more food.  The way to get rid of 20 pounds is to start counting calories and lose the weight by eating less than you take in. I can lose a pound a week by cutting 500 calories a day.  Do that and in six months you will be in a better place with the scale. 

Even if you get a band over bypass, the weight loss will be from eating less.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Toobcherished
on 8/16/14 1:11 am - Henrico, VA

Thank you for your reply as stated I have tried losing it for 6 mos it's a hormonal issue due to meds  I have no choice but to take.  I think the exercise I am currently doing  which is exercise 3-4 days a week.  Along with restriction can override the hormonal response of weight gain.  Can anyone answer the cost question for me?

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

poet_kelly
on 8/16/14 7:15 am - OH

Actually it is not  normal for restriction to be gone after four years.  Yeah, you should be able to eat more at four years post op than at four weeks post op.  But you should always have restriction.  Your pouch will always be smaller than a normal stomach.  At almost six years post op, I still have restriction.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

who knows
on 8/17/14 4:54 am

hi is it normal for someone 13 yrs out to not have restrictions??  I had a Verticle STAPLED Gastr. WITH gastric bypass!!! I may be in need of a revision and will find out tues. thanks you

Valerie G.
on 8/16/14 2:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With all of the Lapband problems I've seen out here, I would expect similar bad results putting it over a bypass, too.  Also, remember that it's only a temporary solution.  The band isn't designed to stay in the body more than 8-10 yrs.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kate -True Brit
on 8/16/14 6:59 am, edited 8/16/14 7:00 am - UK

I can't answer your question as I know nothing about costs in the US. Just wanted to say, band over bypass can help! It's no miracle, but then no wls is that. If you check out the profile of Heathercross you will see her very positive experience. I can't see the data in the Allergan website which says bands only last 8-10 years. Mine is well over 8 years old and I know many with older bands than mine. 

But be warned, a correctly adjusted band does NOT stop you eating, that it not how it works. It just slows it. If it stops you eating, it is too tight. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 8/16/14 7:17 am - OH

Yes, that would be considered lap band surgery.  And I really doubt your insurance company would pay for anesthesia for a procedure they will not pay for, but you can always ask your insurance company if they will.

Have you talked to your surgeon, though, about why you have no restriction?  It's very unusual to have no restriction after RNY.  Have you had an endoscopy to check on your pouch and stoma?  Does your surgeon recommend a band over bypass for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Racewalker48
on 8/16/14 1:09 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I had a conversation with my surgeon about this very subject and he suggested that this type of surgery could be considered revision surgery.  I also doubt that your insurance will pay for anesthesia for a procedure that it does not cover.  Since the cost of any surgical procedure is going to vary from state to state, it may make sense to get a self pay quote from the surgeon and the hospital that would do the surgery.  This quote could include the surgeons fee, the anesthesiologist fee and the hospital fee, which are usually the most expensive.  When I was considering WLS, I was prepared to self pay in case my insurance didn't cover.  My surgeon was willing to provide a quote in writing after he negotiated with the hospital for the hospital fee.  The surgeon you chose may be able to do the same.  

kathkeb
on 8/16/14 2:03 pm

I paid 12,000 out of pocket for my Realize Band 5 years ago in Arizona.

That was for an out patient procedure in a certified day surgery center with full anesthesia and nursing care.

Inaddition to the band, I had follow up with my surgeon once a month for the first few mi ths, then every 6 weeks for about the first year.

I had to self pay for fills and follow ups.

Be sure to factor in the cost of aftercare because the band DOES NOT work without good maintenance.

It is also not a lifetime fix.

Kath

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1395 views