Protein issues

MrsD68
on 8/15/14 10:37 pm

Ugh. I HATE protein shakes.. no matter what you do to them, they taste awful.. I am really not fond of the protein bars either.. but I can manage a few. I just need to find a way to get the shakes in without gagging myself. Turning them into "fun flavored shakes" don't really work, because I think they all taste too sweet.  I focus a lot on high protein foods, so glad even CHEERIOS is on the protein bandwagon. Seems like so many people actually LIKE the protein shakes. I am sure I am just one of the weird ones. I am just venting about my issue..

Eggface
on 8/16/14 1:01 am, edited 8/16/14 1:05 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Nah not weird it's hard to find one that is perfect for you... lots of icky ones. Lots of taste tests brought me to the handful of ones I love but you know one post-ops tasty treat is another's gack. You could make a shake with cottage cheese or Greek yogurt instead. I love this one: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/07/cherr y-heaven.html no protein powder but still full of protein.

Not sure how far out you are but you can get away once you are eating more with no shakes but it requires a real focus on protein first. Be careful of the protein bandwagon foods usually it's marketing hype  http://blog.fooducate.com/2014/06/01/cheerios-protein-cereal -sugary-hype-not-much-more/ 

Hope you find a great protein source you love.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Luvmygs
on 8/16/14 1:28 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Have you tried the Isopure drinks. They come in different flavors. They are 40 grams of protein, but I have 1/2 bottle one day and the other half the next day = 20 grams of protein.

MrsD68
on 8/16/14 2:16 am

Thanks you guys.. appreciate the tips. I am about 4 months post op.

Valerie G.
on 8/16/14 2:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, hate them, and find egg white protein marginally acceptable mixed with coffee...and that took time.  Egg white protein doesn't have that putrid after-taste that you get with whey protein.  My biggest way of getting protein without shakes was with ricotta cheese.  It packs 7g in a quarter cup - that's 28g per cup!!!  You can mix with some SF pudding mix and just enough milk to get a pudding consistency, mix with eggs and a touch of flour for protein pancakes, mix with eggs and vanilla and bake like a custard pie.  All kinds of things and it's a protein powerhouse food.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sp1209
on 8/16/14 10:17 am - AL

Maybe you could try a sample of the Nectar Lemon Tea. It's what's working for me right now. Couldn't get down the chocolate or vanilla any more. hth

bertgamble2001
on 8/16/14 4:17 pm - Willits, CA

I haven't gotten any of the good stuff yet (I ordered some Bariatric Advantage products), but the EAS Whey protien powder that I is pretty good.  I mix 2 scoops of vanilla with 1 scoop of chocolate for a 285 calorie breakfast and dinner that has 40 grams of protien, and 18 of carb.  I am looking forward to tasting the more expensive stuff.  I hope it all tastes the same so I can keep buying the cheap stuff at Sams Club.

senelrad
on 8/16/14 9:53 pm

I prob spent several hundred $$$ in the beginning trying to find a good protein drink, without success. I use the premier protein drinks I buy the van and put it in my coffee. I just in the last month starting using it in my "overnight oatmeal" in place of the 1/3 cup skim milk. About the best protein powder,I have found is the (be)inspire. But I went through three before I settled on the Dutch chocolate cake. The bariatric eating.com site has some good recipes on using the powders, but be careful this site is 1/2 full of ads for their products.  And I only use the powder in baking a sweet treat.  It was a struggle in the beginning getting the protein in without a protein shake or powder, that's why I spent so much time and effort searching. I'm not so sure I LIKE the premiers vs I just "drink it" because "I have too".  My go to site is still "the world according to egg face", she has great bento box ideas and will have protein bar/powder ideas (and when I go to her site I don't feel like she is pushing a product on me). Hope this is helpful!

dfmaam
on 8/22/14 1:49 pm

I am really struggling with this too. I am one month post op. I bought the EAS Whey Protein chocolate powder first and I really hate the taste. Before surgery I could just hold my nose and chug it down. Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore. Drinking one shake (even without adding anything like yogurt, pb or cottage cheese) fills me up so quickly and takes forever to drink. I bought GNC's cookies and cream powder today (they pushed it and swore it would taste good), but gah it's gross! I bought the Syntrax pb cookie and it is SO SWEET. I'm having a hard time getting that one down too. I never thought anything tasted too sweet pre-op, just another change I'm adjusting to. This protein chase is so frustrating.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1522 views