Newbie:)

curlygreen1996
on 8/19/14 12:42 pm - Lawrenceville, IL

Hi everyone my name is Amber and I am new to this site . A little back ground , I am 24, married to my best friend, and unfortunately have been heavy my whole adult life :(. But that is why i am here. i am in the first stages of hopefully getting a VGS !!!  So i would love to make a bunch of new friends that is going through this journey also and even if your not !!!  Thanks :)

Brandi J.
on 8/19/14 1:53 pm

Hi Amber. It is good to see others that are new.

I have been lurking a while but have only posted a few times. I am probably 3 months out from surgery and am debating the VGS and RNY. I am leaning toward RNY at this point just due to amount of weight needed to be lost. I am also married to my best friend love of my life and have the craziness of 6 kids between the ages of 20-12... Meaning we have been married just over 18 years.

I hope to hear more from you esp about your successes!

Brandi  Jensen

"I may not be there yet, but I will get there!!!"

curlygreen1996
on 8/19/14 2:13 pm - Lawrenceville, IL

Hello Brandi J. 

Thank you for replying. I have my first doctors apt in October! I can't wait to get this ball rolling !

Areese85
on 8/19/14 8:09 pm

Hello Amber! I can relate, I have been heavy all of my life as well. It wasn't until the beginning of this year that I realized how much it was affecting me and I  started to work on it. I finally received a referral from my pcp for surgery. I have my first appt with the surgeon in 2 weeks. I have been obsessing lately about it I.e. Watching videos, researching and reading as much as I can. I cannot wait to get the ball rolling!

curlygreen1996
on 8/19/14 8:11 pm - Lawrenceville, IL

I have been the same way . Do you know what surgery you are wanting to have ?

Areese85
on 8/20/14 8:11 am

At first I wanted the sleeve but I have been researching like a mad man.  I think the RNY would be the best for me.  I never would have imagined this as a possibility.  I have been blessed with an amazing PCP that is willing to do whatever I need to be healthy. I've lost 33 lbs since January.  I'm looking forward to seeing that number go up! 

Vivian Prouty
on 8/19/14 9:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Welcome Amber, Brandie, and Areese,

You are all in for the ride of your life with your WLS.    Whatever you choose I know you will do amazing.   I am a support group leader here on OH and you'll see me post monday - friday on most of the main forums.    I am going on 9 yrs. post op RNY and I have never regretted my WLS.   Congrats on your decisions to take control of your health and loose your weight.   Remember this....if you never hit your "perfect scale number or goal weight"   you are STILL a winner because you will have regained your health.    Congrats and look forward to seeing more post from you all.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Valerie G.
on 8/19/14 11:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Welcome, Amber.

I was overweight since Puberty, and a champion dieter that saw no results.  I was an athlete (swimmer) as a teen despite my obesity and obese despite my 2.5 hr workouts swimming and softball in the springtime.  It stopped my gaining, but I never lost anything.  I felt so hopeless, continuing to gain into adulthood.  Knowing this about myself, I knew that I needed more than restriction (I could do that myself).  I got the duodenal switch in 2005 to give my metabolism a kick in the pants and it was the first time I saw any success.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 8/19/14 11:43 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the boards, Amber!  Make sure to check out the surgery-specific boards and do all the research.  There's a "search" function at the top of this page (little magnifying glass) and you type in any topic and get hundreds of hits.  A good way to get a LOT of info about specific surgeries, etc.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Lmo2291
on 8/20/14 1:46 am

Welcome Amber! I'm 23, been heavy my whole life but not really obese until I turned 18. Currently going through the process of being approved for the sleeve. I'm always looking to make new friends going through the process as well so feel free to message me if you want to chat more :)

Most Active