2 part question..

MKing214
on 8/19/14 11:45 pm - omaha, NE

Did anyone have daily heart burn after surgery?  Never had issues with it now I deal with it daily.  Also besides tums what else can u take?  Wld priolsec otc be oOK?  I had the ds on July 9 . Any input wld be great thanks

Jiliana2
on 8/20/14 12:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I know that heartburn can be a common problem for post-ops. Sometimes OTC medication will do the trick. Sometimes not.

Here (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada), I had the VSG in February. My surgeon sent me home with a 12-month prescription of Lansoprazole to control heartburn and stomach acid. I am told to take that FIRST THING in the morning to prevent any possible problems. I've also heard that Zantac can work wonders for some people.

I would recommend that you talk to your surgeon/center and see what they can do for you. They've certainly seen this before. I am sure they would know what you need. Wishing you lots of luck and hoping you find relief soon.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Valerie G.
on 8/20/14 2:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many are on an acid reducer for 6 months.  Didn't Dr. Anthone prescribe you anything?  If not, ask for it.  Nexium, Prilosec and Protonix are the most popular.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 8/20/14 3:18 am, edited 8/20/14 3:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes and it was bad and Tums didn't begin to touch it.  I had to go on a prescription PPI for reflux - Protonix 40 mg a day.  I'm starting to wean off it now.   Don't waste time getting this addressed - acid can do very bad things to our small tummies and cause lots of future problems.  Excess acid and chronic reflux have been linked to esophageal and stomach cancers.  

If Prilosec or other OTC things don't work talk to your doctor and get a strong prescription med.   

ETA:  And I just saw that you live in Nebraska and go to the same practice I do!  (different doctor, same practice).   Call them and let them know you are having problems, you do NOT need to be suffering with this.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MKing214
on 8/20/14 4:39 am - omaha, NE

Thanks everyone.  I have a follow up tmrw and I'll ask them to give me something cause tums just doesn't cut it. Tracy I love our clinic!!!  Awesome staff.  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1363 views