meeting the surgeon soon what to ask

pebtash
on 9/3/14 10:53 am
VSG on 11/25/14

HI EVERYONE,

A WEEK FROM FRIDAY I AM MEETING THE SURGEON FOR THE FIRST TIME. I WAS TOLD IT WILL BE A VERY SHORT MEETING SINCE HE IS A MAN OF FEW WORDS UNLESS I HAVE QUESTIONS. I AM HAVING THE SLEEVE DONE SOMETIME IN NOVEMBER. WHAT  KIND OF QUESTIONS SHOULD I BE ASKING? I KNOW TO ASK ABOUT RECOVERY A TIME, AND HOW LONG I WILL NEED TO STAY ON LIQUIDS. BUT WHAT ELSE SHOULD I ASK. THANKS FOR READING THIS AND FOR ANY HELP.

kayleystar
on 9/3/14 11:08 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I can't tell you what questions to ask, because everyone is different, and wants/needs to know specific things. However, I will suggest that you research, research, research! I decided to go down the WLS path in June, had my consult in July, but beforehand I read EVERYTHING I could, and that helped me prepare questions. This forum is such a fountain of useful information!

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

poet_kelly
on 9/3/14 12:51 pm - OH

Well, the meeting should be as long as you need it to be in order to ask all your questions.  I don't really know what you should ask, though, because I don't know what you already know and what things you still want or need to know.

Do you know if you're having laproscopic surgery?  Do you have any questions about how the surgery is performed or what the risks are?  Do you know how long you should expect to be in the hospital if there are no complications?  Do you know what your food plan will be for the first few weeks post op?  Do you know what vitamins you need?  Do you know when you will be seeing your surgeon for follow up?  Do you know if you need to stop any medications prior to surgery?  Do you have any questions about how your pain will be managed in the hospital and after you are discharged?  Do you know what to expect post-op in terms of weight loss? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pebtash
on 9/4/14 12:07 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Thanks for getting back to me. Someone said research, research, research,  and I have for months now. I guess I do know the answers to all of the questions you asked me. I even know a person that just had the surgery a couple of weeks ago and I am in contact with her twice a week. I've been going to classes, and seeing nutritionist, and a N.P. now for months. So I have a good idea about everything. I have even watched the surgery being done. I have trouble with being on the spot and forgetting. Then when I leave I remember what I wanted to ask. This is such a big deal, I am afraid I might forget something until after I leave the office. I have started to write things down. I just don't want to forget something. Just nervous I guess. Wish me luck. I am seeing him next Friday. I am going to request that his office gets me on the schedule for November. So I am hoping I will know in a couple of weeks when that might be. Thanks again.

Bubbles314
on 9/4/14 7:51 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

If it interests you, you could ask:  How many surgeries he has done

How many leaks after surgery

Dr mortality rate

Can you talk to a patient that has been successful

Ask about after hour care or office response after surgery

Good luck to you

Bonnie250
on 9/4/14 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

CONGRATULATIONS! Write any questions you have down so you dont forget them!!! YOU GOT THIS!

Bonnie

pebtash
on 9/7/14 10:00 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Thanks everyone I got this. I'm so excited.

kaharris72.aol.com
on 9/7/14 11:14 am

Hi, I was just hoping it would be ok to ask you a question? Did you have to do anything for you insurance to cover the surgery? I have to do a program for 3 months (which I have done before) and then my insurance goes from there to see if they will cover it. Then I heard it's a lot of testing (like up to 6 month)...Thank you for your help...

Most Active