Alternative food for FRIES

TheNewT
on 9/7/14 10:28 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

Let me start by saying that I love french fries. Yes, it was an unhealthy love. It was one of those, I would sell you for a bag of fries and then want more. I would prefer fries over protein and beverages and good health. Since I had surgery 5 weeks ago, of course I have had no fries. The hubby and 5 year old have had french fries. I realize that I need to find a food alternative to fries when I watched my son put every single fry in his mouth and I fantasized that it was me. Can anyone suggest something I could have instead....even if it is baked? I just like that french fry taste.

Thanks.

Gwen M.
on 9/8/14 12:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This might be a good opportunity for your family to make healthier eating choices as well - french fries aren't really a healthy choice for anyone, eh?  

There are many recipes out there for baked fries that you can google, but you might not want to add potatoes to your life.  I eat them in small amounts, but they don't cause me to crave more or anything.  You might be different and find that eating potatoes in a fry-like form releases the potato-kraken and makes you want to eat them ALL THE TIME.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mrs_mackroy0394
on 9/8/14 12:43 am

Yeah, fries are pretty good especially from Wing stop :-D.  however, I recently had my surgery, and I went to a wedding afterwards.  I toyed with not going to the reception because, I knew there would be food, and I would not be able to eat.  When everyone started to eat, I excused myself from the table and went outside, and returned by the time the people on my table were done eating.  Plus it was freezing in there.  I also still have to get dinner ready for my husband, and that can also be annoying at times, but he doesn't sit next to me while he is eating.  No Temptations here

Good luck :-)

Grim_Traveller
on 9/8/14 1:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I didn't have fries or any kind of potato until I reached my goal. After a while, I really didn't crave them any more. I will have a few now and then with a meal if I am eating out. But after eating my protein, I never have room for more than a few, and it can get uncomfortable pretty quick.

A large McDonald's fry is 510 calories. A lot of post-ops don't eat much more than that in an entire day.

Do your best to stay away from them if you can. You'll be much better off.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TheNewT
on 9/8/14 1:49 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I can say that neither one of them gorged on fries like mommy. Could that be because I would take half out of their bags to add to my own!?!!! I don't let the little one get out of control because I don't want to create another fry monster.

I don't want to return to fries even after I hit goal. That is THE trigger food that is a slippery slope. Darn the cakes and cookies and soda. A fried potato could spell doom for me. I heard that mashed cauliflower was similar to mashed potatoes, just healthier. I just didn't know if any other food that would work in place of potato.

Thanks for the help everyone!

poet_kelly
on 9/8/14 1:56 am - OH

I like baked sweet potato fries.  I also saw a recipe recently for green bean fries but haven't tried those.  You can google them.  However, you may find that fries of any sort are a trigger food for you and that you just need to avoid them completely.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Member Services
on 9/8/14 2:43 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 

Check out Eggface's site, she has great recipes!

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

cptprkchp
on 9/8/14 5:11 am

I totally understand.  I am a sucker for a tater tot.  Always was. 

The best thing I can tell you is to (as hard as it may sound) refrain from being around them at all.  Is there an alternative to french fries that you may serve to your family so you won't be constantly exposed to them?  One thing I have done is cut cauliflower thin (a head at a time) and then bake it with some coconut oil and salt on it.  It has a "potato" feel to it- especially if you bake it to well done. 

I really hope this helps- even 7 years post op I still LOVE me some tater tots!!

healthycarolina
on 9/8/14 5:17 am
RNY on 11/18/13

Bariatric Pantry has some protein chips that are really good.  I really wanted to eat something with crunch.  These have saved me.

Wanda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/8/14 5:46 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Well, it isn't a "french fry" but I make "tater tots" using zucchini.  Everyone LOVES them -- and I bake them in the oven  -- so they really aren't bad at all.  

Zucchini Tots

1 cups zucchini, grated

1 egg, beaten

Chives or diced onion to taste

1/2 cup cheese dry grated parmesan cheese (like kraft)

salt and pepper to taste

Pam

I grate the zucchini in my food processor.  Then put it in a colander and salt it to pull out the water.  I let it sit a long time while I do other things.  Then I ring it out in paper towels -- like you do with frozen spinach, etc.  The drier the better.  

Mix it with the other ingredients.  I heat the oven to 400.  I then use a small ice-cream scoop -- hold about 1.5 T. and plop scoops about an inch apart on a pam sprayed sheet pan. I have also used parchment lined -- that makes for easy clean up.  I cook them about 18-20 minutes until they are browned and yummy. 

I use them as a side dish and also as "hash browns" for my family.  My family doesn't get unhealthy food unties they choose it when we eat out.  My son and husband are used to it now.  LOL.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active