Having reservation about having the surgery. ..

wash53
on 9/14/14 5:28 am, edited 9/14/14 5:28 am

Lately if I am by my self I seem to have doubts that if this is what I have time for ...I feel like I won't have the time to do as a mom and be down with surgery. .

Member Services
on 9/14/14 5:33 am - Irvine, CA

Hello 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!

These kind of doubts are normal.  Do you have some friends or family you can talk to?  If not, give the surgeons office a call and they will be glad to answer any questions you have. 

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

wash53
on 9/14/14 8:05 am

To those really help me....

HLen
on 9/14/14 7:06 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I second guessed myself all the way to surgery.. But think of it this way.. You may not have the time for family and children if you don't do it... Depending on your health.  Is this the best choice for the long run.. Down time isn't that long :-) 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

wash53
on 9/14/14 8:06 am

To very encouraging

InTransition
on 9/14/14 7:22 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I had major doubts too!  I think it's pretty common - this is a MAJOR step, and there is no doubt it will forever change your life.  You just have to decide whether the benefit outweighs (hah!) the drawbacks.  As a mom, you are looking at maybe a week of limited activity.  On day 4 after my surgery, I was doing laundry and light cleaning around the house, making lunches, etc.  I still had help getting kids to and from school, and wasn't driving, but my pain was really minimal.  More than anything, I was just tired.  So, kids go to school, and I nap during the day when the house is quiet.  I give myself a lot of grace on what needs to be done, and if I get tired, I rest.  

What it came down to for me was this...I was scared that I could die in the surgery.  But if I continued to do nothing, I WOULD die.  And not necessarily at a time that was convenient for my family.  I want to be here for my kids and someday my grandkids.  I want to plan graduations and weddings and baby showers and lots and lots of anniversaries with my husband.  I want to be here.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 7:23 am - OH

The down time after surgery is minimal.  

Line up some help with the house and kids if you need to. If, however, you are focusing on "not having time" to have surgery, perhaps you aren't really ready to have the surgery and make the necessary life changes...? 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wash53
on 9/14/14 8:03 am

First that is not the case I have six children ..it's just alot...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 8:18 am - OH

Then enlist family and friends to help.  

What would you do if you needed to have your gallbladder or appendix out, or if you became hospitalized for a week and weren't home at all?  Who would take care of the kids and house then?  

This isn't really any different. If your insurance is paying for the surgery, they have determined that it is medically necessary (just as a gallbladder or appendix removal would be).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wash53
on 9/14/14 8:04 am
Most Active