DS Pre-surgery questions

kddub
on 9/23/14 6:34 am
DS on 10/10/14

Before I blast you all with questions - I want to say thank you for any response.  Now that I have a surgery date (October 10) I am overwhelmed with questions!

1.  I would like any suggestions on what to take to the hospital?

2.  I am having food separation anxiety - is this normal?

3.  I am suddenly concerned with the pain (I am not normally a wimp!).

4.  I am concerned with the major changes that will be made in my body - don't know why this is bothering me!!

Thanks for any comments, hints, suggestions.

HW 310  CW 222   SW 295  GW 175

DS 10/10/14 by Dr. Ranjan Sudan - Duke Medicine

Member Services
on 9/23/14 7:31 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date   We look forward to seeing your updates.

If you have not done so already for more responses post this on your surgery type forum.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

lexibelle
on 9/23/14 8:24 am - Federal Way, WA
DS on 09/19/14

I'm a fresh post-op DS (surgery on 9/18), so this si all really fresh in my mind.

1. Chap stick, loose underwear (or ones that will go below your belly button area), loose pants (or again, ones that ride low), comfy shirt. Other than that I didn't really use anything. I was only in the hospital for around 24hrs total, so I didn't need any of the clothes or toiletries I took. If you do stay longer, I'd imagine having things like shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste and toothbrush would be good. Maybe a tablet or something to keep you entertained - but again only if you're staying more than a day or two. I had no interest in anything other than sleeping the first full day.

2. Totally normal. It's also normal to have some after surgery. Last night was my first bout of it (5 days post-op) when my hubby made this huge homemade Chinese meal for my parents. I hid upstairs. The worst part is I really wasn't hungry and the idea of anything but liquid makes me want to cringe. 

3. I'm going to be honest - it's worse than I expected it to be. My first memory after they put me under was me waking up in pain (in my arm from the blood pressure cuff) and that was pretty much the name of the game for the first 36 hours. I'm at 5 days out and still pretty sore and there are moments when I move and have to catch my breath. I will say that I've managed it with lower-level narcotics (oxycodone) and haven't needed anything extreme like morphine. Though it might have been appreciated the first night. 

4. Again, totally normal. You're being sliced, diced and re-arranged. There's really no getting over it - just accepting it and trusting that your surgeon is going to do his job well.

Good luck! :) It's normal to be nervous - but push through it and in the end it'll be totally worth it.

Bubbles314
on 9/23/14 9:09 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Kddub

I'm having RNY on October 6th and I too have all those issues and can add a few more.  I worry I won't wake up from the gas (my sister says not to worry about that you won't know if you don't wake up) still gonna worry, I worry about the change in diet and I really want to but what if I can't or I sabotage myself (hoping to prevent it)  Therapy in progress.  I am not a wimp either but have had surgery several times before .

I picked up this advice on OH, bring a pillow to put between you and the seatbelt.  Best of luck to you and see you on the loser's bench

Valerie G.
on 9/24/14 12:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Have you found the DS board yet?  You'll have a captive audience out there, but I'm happy to answer some questions.

1. You don't need much at the hospital at all.  Use their gowns (use a second one as a robe) so you don't soil your own clothes with seepage.  They will give you toothpaste/toothbrush/soap/horrible shampoo (bring your own shampoo for sure).  I was too listless to care about reading anything, but some bring magazines.  I was quite chatty with my roommate though, so we entertained each other.  Chapstick and earplugs are a must.  A hat or ponytail holder if your appearance matters.  I overpacked, and all I really pulled out was chapstick, a hat, and a fresh pair of panties for my ride home.
  2. Food anxiety is normal - but food funerals are more fun.  With the Ds, though, you're not saying goodbye to anything - just a "see ya later"
  3. Pain is kept under control very well.  Discomfort is higher, but pain wasn't bad, thanks to today's narcotics.
  4. The major changes being made are going to get you to living a normal life that you've dreamed of.  It's all good.

Finally, go to this page to read more about what to expect post-op DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kddub
on 9/26/14 4:03 am
DS on 10/10/14

Valerie,

I have found the DS page and posted my questions there as well.  Just like I expected I got some great feedback and wonderful suggestions.  You have now added to that.  I especially thank you for telling me not to overpack!!  I have also devoured (multiple times!! the what to expect pages.

Thanks again for everything!!  I am anxious to get to normal!

Karen

Most Active