New Here

kitten992107_
on 9/24/14 9:33 am

I there I am new to this site and looking for friends, inspiration and advice, How is everyone?. I just started my journey I have gone to the orientation and had my first apt with the social worker and I have a apt with a nurse in a couple months.

MsBatt
on 9/24/14 12:34 pm

Welcome! I urge you to spend the time between now and your first appointment educating yourself about all four forms of WLS---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/Duodenal Switch. The Band and the Sleeve are restriction-only procedures, the RNY is a highly restrictive/mildly malabsorptive procedure, and the DS is a mildly restrictive/highly malabsorptive procedure. The Band has the lowest long-term, maintained weight loss stats, the VSG and the RNY are in the middle and have pretty equal stats, and the DS has the best stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

kitten992107_
on 9/25/14 1:41 am

Thank you i didnt know any of that,do you get a choice of what you want to do?

MsBatt
on 9/25/14 2:04 am

You absolutely DO get to choose! No one, not your doctor, your insurance carrier, your family or friends, should be making this sort of decision for you, because they don't have to live with the aftermath. YOU DO. Only you know enough about yourself to know what sorts of permanent lifestyle changes you can make and be happy with.

tomsgirl6112
on 9/24/14 4:32 pm - PA
RNY on 01/15/15

Welcome.  I am going into my 5th month of pre op dr. visits, classes and evals.  I agree that educating yourself is the best advice.  Between the valuable info from the classes, etc at the hospital and the info I received from this website, I feel much more confident about which procedure I am getting.  Good luck and keep asking questions.

Mary Gee
on 9/24/14 8:01 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Read, read, read, and then read some more.  Visit all the surgery forums:  VSG, RNY, DS and LapBand.  Also, at the top of the page, read the information under "Resources".  

Have you verified your insurance coverage?  If your insurance is through an employer, make sure there's no WLS "exclusion".  Check our your insurer's requirements - many require a six month (some, 12 month) supervised diet.  Make sure you have all your ducks lined up in a row.

If you have questions on a specific issue, use the search function (the magnifying glass on the blue bar).

Feel free to post questions, etc.  But remember, too, that medical issues should be addressed to your doctor, as we are not doctors and should not offer medical advice.  We can offer general information, and lots of support.

Be patient - there are many steps necessary, and lots of appointments, and hoops to jump through.  

Check out Eggface's Blog for a look at life post-op and recipes galore.

Good luck on your journey.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

kitten992107_
on 9/25/14 1:46 am

Im glad you mention the insurance question I thought that i just go through the apt and if i got the green light that everything was a go, I was told the sugary and 2 day hospital stay is covered under ohip I didnt know that there is more I had to do, i guess its all about learning at this point. I am anxious about the procedure but i am ok with it taking time cause that gives me time to prepare for everything .

Karen M.
on 9/26/14 2:39 am - Mississauga, Canada

It IS covered by OHIP. You are receiving several answers from folks in the States.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active