Steroids and NSAID Question?

Billie Jo C.
on 9/28/14 6:09 pm - Spokane, WA

Hello, I have a few questions about Steroid injections and the use of NSAIDs. I'm post-op 3 years RNY and I know I can absolutely NOT have any form of Non steroidal anti inflammatory medication/s (NSAIDs). I suffer from chronic back pain, and my options are steroid injections. I have been reading about steroid injections and found they contain anti inflammatory properties/medication. What is the difference between the two? I'm very confused as to why steroids are ok for RNY patients, and NSAIDs are not? when both contain anti inflammatory medication. I'm concerned that the treating Dr might inject me with something that I shouldn't have. I've found a list of medications weight loss patients should, and shouldn't have...I'm just not sure how up to date it is. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/28/14 10:20 pm

Large dosages of steriods over long time may cause simmilar issus as NSAIDs...Chances that localized one time large dose of steroids may do damage is there, but with much less chances.  Just make sure that any local or added to steriods (combination) of drugs does not contain NSAIDs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/14 11:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The difference is, NSAIDS cause ulcers, and steroids don't. NSAIDS are usually taken every day for long stretches, while steroids are given only once in a while.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Racewalker48
on 9/29/14 12:00 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Part of the issue is the route of administration.  Both drugs are anti inflammatory, with different mechanisms of action.  Steroid injections into a joint will not harm your pouch per se, but they cannot be injected into a joint indefinitely.  While they can provide temporary relief of pain, they too can cause joint damage if overused. They are generally not injected more than 3-4 times, depending on the condition.  With that said, oral NSAIDS and oral steroids can cause normal stomach and stomach pouch irritation. NSAIDS in particular can cause stomach/pouch irritation and ulcers.  

Grim_Traveller
on 9/29/14 12:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Oral steroids are not a problem either. They do not cause ulcers.

NSAIDS are systemic, meaning they are distributed throughout your body. And it doesn't matter if they are oral, creams, gels, etc. They can cause stomach ulcers. The problem is, in RNY, they can cause ulcers in your remnant stomach. And the only way to fix, or even find the ulcer, is with surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/29/14 3:12 am

ehm... long term oral high steroids use may slightly increase chances for ulcers... specially in people who may be prone to ulcers.  may  but the data can support iteitehr way..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/29/14 5:28 am - OH

NSAIDS given in any way can cause ulcers, not just if given orally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Racewalker48
on 9/29/14 5:41 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Yes, you are correct, it is a local and systemic effect.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/29/14 12:11 am - OH

The N and S in NSAIDs is for non-steroidal, so they have different anti-inflammatory mechanisms than steroids.  Long term use of steroids can have a variety of negative side effects, so the NSAIDs were developed in order to have something that could be taken on a more regular basis for people with inflammatory conditions.  So any medication that addresses inflammation will fall into one category or the other.

Many, many people with RNYs have periodic steroid injections in their knees, shoulders, and backs to combat arthritis or other kinds of inflammation.  Even those injections are usually limited as far as how frequently you can/should have them, though, because of various effects on the body (which I am sure you she  already seen in your Googling). My PCP and orthopedic surgeon would only give me steroid injections in my knees 3 times a year, for example (and the effects of the injections did NOT last 3-4 months, unfortunately).

Your weight loss surgery shouldn't keep you from having occasional steroid shots.

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Billie Jo C.
on 9/29/14 5:14 am - Spokane, WA

Thank you all so very much for the reply to my post. I have stressed to my Dr that I can not have any kind of NSAIDs pill, injections, creams etc...there was one point she had to give me toradol in her office. She said that it was fine, but as I understand it injection form of NSAIDs still enters the blood stream and effects the stomach lining correct? Again thank you all for the information and replays to my questions. 

No long term steroids.

No NSAIDs at all. 

-Billie Jo

Most Active