OH Community Help - How do you manage portion sizes?

Sarahlicious
on 10/19/14 5:36 pm, edited 10/13/14 6:00 am - Portsmouth, OH

OH Community Help Time!

We often get emails, see threads or talk with people that are struggling with portion sizes.

We'd love to know what's working for you! What are your personal tips for controlling meal portion sizes at home, in the workplace or when dining out?

We will turn this topic into a blog post with some of your helpful tips to further help the OH Community on their journey. Please note that ObesityHelp Blog posts are shared via social media. 

Check out our previous Community Tips - ObesityHelp Community Tips: Vitamins After Weight Loss Surgery

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

tstowe
on 10/13/14 10:35 am

Easy.

Home: I bought a scale. Two ounces of meat. Two ounces of Vegetables. I eat the meat first, then the vegetables...If I can hold them. 

Work: I bought 200 two ounce cups on eBay. I just fill the cup and take it to work with me. (I teach and the cafeteria food is just as appetizing as you remember)

Eating Out: If I eat out (only happened twice so far)  I eyeball it.

mooosie
on 10/13/14 11:57 pm - CT

Eyeballing and being mindful of what I eat.  does work all the time and accounts for hovering between 188 and 197 for the past several months.  drives me nuts.  I  do not feel much of any restriction from vgs dec 2011.

Mary A.
on 10/14/14 12:50 am

I am almost 6 yrs post-op maintaining a weight loss of 100-107lbs, I never had a scale...my reason for that is, how will I know what amount I should eat when I am at a friends house or out for dinner.  I also eyeball it...and I keep in mind the sizing as in a serving is the size of a (deck of cards), etc etc.  As far as eating out my usual rule of thumb is order something that I have had before or something that I can most definatly pack up and take 1/2 home

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

jastypes
on 10/14/14 4:18 am - Croydon, PA

I am a food addict and really cannot be trusted to judge portions at 7+ years out.  I use a food scale and measuring cups, as well as pre-portioned packaged foods. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

MyLady Heidi
on 10/14/14 1:08 pm

At nearly ten years out I know what my limits are, how my body reacts to limit what I eat.  Seems like an odd question actually, doesn't everyone know how much and how many calories to eat a day, isn't that what having wls is all about, not overeating any more and actually paying attention to your body instead of eating mindlessly.

Sarahlicious
on 10/16/14 2:54 pm - Portsmouth, OH

Thank you all for your replies!

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Eggface
on 10/19/14 1:21 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Portion size should be determined by you and your Dr. based on your personal weight loss goals and nutritional needs. The first few years I measured and really took the time to train my eye. Now I pride myself on being able to gauge what 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup without a measure. It's good to check yourself from time to time to make sure you are still within your recommended amounts. 

Out & about: I love bento boxes. I can portion out a lunch and a snack and take it with me: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-be nto-box-rocks.html 

At restaurants: Restaurant portions are outrageous so I ask for a box right away and take 1/2 home. I love to turn it into something completely different the next day. I call it repurposing. Once I got 7 meals from 1: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/07/lotsa -love-for-leftovers-4.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Jules78
on 10/19/14 9:44 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I weigh and measure everything.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

huskergalWsD
on 10/20/14 9:45 am

at 7 yrs post op . I eat until I feel full, I don't measure. I have maintained my weight loss. If I have put more on my plate than I can eat I leave whats left on my plate. Boyfriend hates that.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~