Just Venting

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 3:52 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi all

I had my RNY to Sleeve revision surgery on 10/13, had issues with anemia, BP, and O2, during the surgery & after. The original plan was to reverse the RNY, do the sleeve with the single loop pyloric sparing bypass (SIPS). Never got to the bypass part, but I'm ok with that. The revision was not because I gained weight (only 20 lb rebound), but I've had recurrent severe anastomotic ulcers, this last one since Nov 2013. 

I received 4 units of blood, bruised (not intentionally) up and down my flanks during transfers from bed-stretcher-table for upper GI-stretcher-bed, because I kept de-sating and became hypotensive every time I tried to sit up. Since I couldn't get up for the first few days, the gas pains were excruciating. 

I finally came home on 10/18. Doing Ok, but I'm so tired....I can't seem to do much but sleep. My poor little grandson (5 years old) is trying to make me feel better by bringing me his toys , but I have very little stamina for him right now. My hubby, son, and especially my DIL, are so good to me. I know this will pass, but just felt like having a pity party.

Other than feeling miserable, I'm actually tolerating liquids well, and the pain is manageable. I just felt like venting a little.

Thanks for sparing me a few minutes to rant. I actually feel better now.

Lisa 

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

HarvestMoon1974
on 10/19/14 3:57 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

Vent away! I'm sorry to hear you've had such problems. What a sweet little guy your grandson is, bringing you his toys

I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 4:00 am - Raleigh, NC

Thanks. I'm not usually one that complains. And you are correct! My little guys is so sweet. All he wants to do is to see what the Dr. did to fix my belly. He also wants to see what "a belly cast" looks like,, so he can tell his friends at school. 

HarvestMoon1974
on 10/19/14 4:16 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

Too cute.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/14 4:22 am - OH

Hang in there.  Soon this will all be a distant memory, and (hopefully) your issues with ulcers will be a thing of the past.

Can I ask a question about the ulcers? Did your surgeon give any reason for them forming?  You are the second person I know of who had the bypass taken down because of anastomotic ulcers (and the first person had hers taken down over a year ago and hasn't had any problems with ulcers with the sleeve). I am just curious about why they form in some people.  (I could ask one of the surgeons that I work for part time... IF I remember, LOL... But thought I would ask you first.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 5:05 am - Raleigh, NC

Lora

very good question. The proximal connection of the pouch to the long limb no longer has a pyloric sphincter, therefore allowing potential acid build up in that area. Most people have risk factors that precipitate these types of ulcers, such as smoking or using NSAIDS. In my case we believe that stress was the cause of the ulcers. I am happy to hear that the other person has done well since her takedown. The decision to move forward with surgery was not made lightly. There are so many risks with this type of revision. I hope to be successful as I recover. 

Thanks

Lisa

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 7:39 am

Wow.  You've really been through it.  As a veteran of many blood transfusions I have learned that the average female body only holds 5  1/2 to 6 units of blood in normal cir****tances.  I've needed three units before, but never four.  You must have been in really bad shape.

I hope you  heal quickly.  REALLY quickly.  Come on here and vent away. That's pretty much what we're here for anyway.

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 7:50 am - Raleigh, NC

Thank you, Amy. I can honestly say that I've never been that bad. It's not as if I lost a lot of blood during the procedure, though I know that I've had a slow bleed with the ulcers. As a rule, I tend to be chronically anemic, and take a prescription B complex with Ferris Fumarate that has kept me stable for the last few years. Thank you for your good wishes.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/19/14 8:12 am

I've heard so little of this procedure. Was Gagner your surgeon?

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 10:00 am - Raleigh, NC

No, Paul Enochs in NC

Most Active