Lactose Intolerance after RNY

Madre524
on 10/20/14 5:56 am

Hello everyone,

I've recently discovered I'm one of those with post-op lactose issues.  I can live without the milk but I'm really bummed that even high quality plain Greek yogurt does a number on my tummy. I've been counting on Greek yogurt as a protein booster and now I can't.      

Has anyone else experienced this with yogurt?

Thanks,

10 weeks post op and still learning.

Kimber_CH
on 10/20/14 6:04 am - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

Hi, I am 8 weeks out and at 6 weeks I also discovered that I am lactose intolerant.  For 3 days I gave my tummy a break from all dairy, ate eggs and broth. I now take lactase with each of my meals. I have had no problems now as long as I take my lactase. Watch out for hidden dairy in products.

Cheers Kimberly

Madre524
on 10/20/14 6:49 am

Thanks Kimberly.

I've been stalling on wanting to take yet another pill, but if it means I can keep my Greek yogurt I shall give it a try!

Do you take them immediately before eating, or some time before?     With so many water and food rules it's all I can do to keep up with them all!

Kimber_CH
on 10/20/14 6:56 am - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

I take it just before I eat. Your chemist/drug store should carry it.

cheers Kimberly

LucyWong
on 10/23/14 4:06 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 10/01/14 with

Wow I'm really into the weight loss thing. Dairy is out of my diet, it's just as bad as drinking your calories. Plus who needs it.  My rule now is if you can't eat it, don't, eat something else. My fail safe is Jello. But really I never get that hungry were I must eat something. I'll be sticking to my diet till I reach my goal by then it should just the way it is to be. Remember why you had the surgery.

Sincerely, Lucy

Kimber_CH
on 10/23/14 10:21 pm - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

Hi Lucy,

I am not sure where you are coming from here. Drinking/eating dairy is good for you and not considered empty calories. It is a great source of protein. We need protein. Milk powder/dairy is also used in many other products and when eaten can cause abdominal pain, gas and diarrhea. When you are lactose intolerant this is a huge problem and trying to get protein becomes much more difficult. I can't see why your diet would not include diary. Perhaps I am missing something.

Cheers

Kimberly

rocky513
on 10/20/14 7:08 am - WI

I'm lactose intolerant but I don't have any trouble with greek yogurt and cheese.  Are you eating plain yogurt and flavoring it yourself or are you eating fruit flavored yogurt?  Sometimes artificial sweeteners can trigger the same symptoms as lactose intolerance  (diarrhea, nausea, gas).  I add a little fresh fruit and stevia to my plain yogurt.

It might get better with time.  You could try giving your stomach a dairy free week or two and then try again.  I couldn't give up my yogurt. .  I've never tried Lact-aide, but I hear a lot of people use it with success.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 10/20/14 7:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm only intolerant to a couple of dairy items, so try a few different things and see if you're so lucky.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

prism4105
on 10/20/14 7:58 am
RNY on 06/26/14

have the same problem, anything dairy It kills me. 

Madre524
on 10/20/14 9:01 am

Thanks everyone.   I am weird. I actually like plain Greek yogurt without sweeteners.  I'd sometimes sprinkle some cinnamon on top.  When I'd add stevia is was just too sweet for me.    I'm a salt junky. Not sweet.  Not sure if that's good or bad! 

I'm hoping I grow out of this with time, but I am going to give the lactase a try. Just so I can eat yogurt!   

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1481 views