pregnancy after surgury

kitten992107_
on 11/17/14 8:08 am

Hi therd every one something has been weighing on my mind i am doing the surgury for my health and well beeing to relearn how to eat properly but i also want to have kids i heard its high risk after surgury and that makes me nervous any advise, suggestions experiences???

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/14 8:32 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

I have never heard that iit's high risk? 

It only causes risk to weight gain.

Member Services
on 11/17/14 8:38 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 

If you have not done so, please post this on the Pregnancy after Weight Loss Surgery for more responses.

Regards,

Member Services

NikkyBeauty
on 11/17/14 7:39 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Well I've actually heard you have a higher risk of becoming pregnant after surgery! Something about you producing more of some kind of hormones or what not, I can't remember exactly what was told to me but I remember being told to get on birth control and use condoms to prevent pregnancy by the bariactric coordinator the day of my consult!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Valerie G.
on 11/17/14 9:16 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many have had very successful pregnancies after weight loss surgery.  You want to wait until your weight is stable, so look at a year or so down the road.  Rapid loss causes strain on your liver and other areas - but stops when your weight is stable.  They will pay special attention to your nutritional levels, because you'll not be eating enough to sustain without supplements, and the baby will be sucking nutrients out of your body about as fast as you can get the in.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Misty M.
on 11/18/14 3:06 pm - Renton, WA

I got pregnant after surgery, and other than failing the glucose test (obv) I was fine. I was very cautious to only eat for one, had an OBGYN who was familiar with bariatric patients, and was healthy and safe, with an easy labor. It was my first pregnancy. I would make sure to address it with your surgeon and an OB. Most women are fine, that I know of. Good Luck!

Misty        

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/19/14 3:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon gives the thumbs-up for pregnancy one year after surgery. He also refers to a nutritionist so you make sure you're eating the best-quality food you can, and recommends using an OB who has experience with high-risk pregnancies as a "just in case."

I'm 11 months out and planning to get pregnant early next year, and my doc said I should have no problems as soon as I get my IUD out.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active