X-post- Total knee replacement and pain management

KatCooper
on 11/19/14 9:49 am - Collierville, TN

Well, the right knee has given it up.  I have had cortisone and synthetic cartilage injections for years and its time for a total knee replacement.   Pain management has become an issue.  I can not take steroids or NSAIDS due to my bypass.   Norco/Percocet tablets cause severe gastric burning and pain.   Those of you who had Roux-en-Y bypass, what did you do for your pain?  I walk 8-9 hours a day for work  3-4 days a week.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Amy R.
on 11/19/14 10:33 am

Have you tried a Fentanyl patch? It's a transdermal narcotic so it shouldn't make your stomach burn.  Maybe that's an option?

KatCooper
on 11/19/14 10:36 am - Collierville, TN

Thanks for the feedback Amy!  I don't need anything quite that strong. :)   Do you know anyone who has tried the Butrans patch?

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

Amy R.
on 11/19/14 3:58 pm

Nope.  Actually never even heard of that.  What's the name of the drug it releases?

Hislady
on 11/20/14 2:11 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've used both patches, you have to be on morphine to use the fentanyl patch. I'm not sure about the butrans patch I don't remember if you have to be morphine tolerant for that one. I can say it didn't work as well as the fentanyl patch did for me but I was using the strongest patch of fentanyl when I was switched to the butrans. You may want to ask your doc about it tho because it was a huge help for my constant spinal pain and arthritis. I still use the fentanyl patch and it works even better, but they can be hard to keep on, I have to tape mine on. Good luck, pain sucks!

56sunShine14
on 11/19/14 11:26 am

Is there a reason you aren't just getting the replacement?  I've had both mine done and it's wonderful!!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/19/14 11:47 am - OH

Do the liquid forms of narcotic meds (e.g., Lortab) cause the same stomach issues as the pills?  Have you tried taking the pills with a LOT of water (to push the pills well beyond the pouch and first few inches of intestine)?  That frequently eliminates pain/burning issues.

I avoided my knee replacements for as long as I possibly could out of fear of the pain and outcome, and now that they are both done (separately), I truly wish I had not endured so much pain for so long!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KatCooper
on 11/19/14 9:51 pm - Collierville, TN

Thanks for the responses-   I have to put the surgery off until mid March because my job does not provide paid time off.  I have to save up the extra money to be off the 6-7 weeks for the surgery.  I did not think about adding extra water.  That is a great idea!  I will give that a try.   Strangely enough I worked in a chronic pain practice prior to the emergency room but I  never treated anyone with RNY bypass or anyone with any type of gastric surgery that might have special needs. That why I am so interested in how other RNYers have handled pain if they had issues with other aspects of pain management and how it affected your life.   I really appreciate all of your comments.

Kat 

Cathy W.
on 11/19/14 10:23 pm

I understand your knee.  I've had the cortisone shots and the cartilage injections.  I haven't had any relief.  I'm scheduled to have knee replacement surgery in a few weeks.  I'm concerned about the surgery but I don't want to live my life in pain and not being able to do the simple things like walking.

I took lots of Tylenol for the pain (14 extra strengths a day) and I had issues with my liver.  I've taken Mobeck for the pain but it didn't work much since I'm bone on bone.  When I took the Mobeck, I ate protein first and then took the pill and ate more protein after I took it.

Best of luck to you.

Price S.
on 11/19/14 10:56 pm - Mills River, NC

Losing over 100 lbs didn't help my knee and I ended up with a replacement.  It isn't great and I had a very hard recovery but now it is done, it is ok.  My body is great at making scar tissue and it binds my knee up no matter how aggressive the PT.  Anyway, Trameal, a homeopathic med was about the only thing that helped my knee before surgery.  It comes in a cream, a pill and a liquid.  I did all of them.  I did think it helped.

I recently broke my sacrum.  At the ER, the dr gave me a shot of some kind of antinflamiory that was an NSAID but he thought since it wasn't going through my stomach, it would be ok.  I'm sure it wasn't but at that point, I was in such pain I didn't care.  He also gave me some pain meds that I didn't take.  I told him I wasn't going to take them but he thought I needed it.

Try the Trameel and see if you get any relief from that.  Hope it helps.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active