Post opt pureed food = baby food?

miss_tarah
on 11/20/14 1:21 am - Toronto, Canada

I am wondering if baby food is considered a healthy and sustainable option for the "pureed food only" portion of the post-op diet? I haven't seen many people post about it, but I am assuming since it is for babies, the nutritional content would be high.  Pending I ensured the sugar count was down and maintained a high amount of protein, does anyone know if this is a possibility or why it might not be? Thanks! 

Kate -True Brit
on 11/20/14 1:34 am - UK

Maybe! But have you ever tasted it? Tastes a bit like unsalted wallpaper paste. Even the quality stuff is so bland. I suppose it might be useful if you don't have a blender and want something for travelling.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 11/20/14 1:34 am

You should be able to check the nutritional content on the label or on line.

I. Think baby food tastes disgusting, so I made my own puréed or soft food.

I ate Greek yogurt for breakfast, well forked tuna salad for lunch and baked Ricotta for dinner.

I was only eating a few tablespoons at a time, so a large can of tuna lasted about 4 days and the baked ricotta lasted as long.

I only 'cooked' twice a week .... Kept me out of the kitchen.

Many people look for good recipes and experiment with different foods, but I was really training myself to take the 'excitement factor' out of food and look at it as fuel only, so this worked for me.

Boring, yes, but it worked.

Kath

jefferytmc
on 11/20/14 1:38 am

My first stage was "drippy", not just liquids, but runny grits and such.  And stage 1 baby food was approved.  It did not look appetizing, so I skipped it.

So yes, it is allowed, but as others have said, it is fairly easy to make your own.  We did baked sweet potato and blended it with milk and made it soupy and it was good.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Valerie G.
on 11/20/14 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Baby food is also very high in carbs and sugars.  You would be better suited to make your own pureed foods.  All you need is a mini food processor, which costs all of $10, then you can season it to your taste.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

miss_tarah
on 11/20/14 6:08 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks all! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/14 9:03 am, edited 11/20/14 9:05 am - OH

If you look at the nutritional stats on baby food, you will see that it is NOT a good post-op choice (too little protein, and often too many carbs/sugars).  As already mentioned, the meat baby foods -- which would be the only ones offering any protein to speak of, and is what you need to focus on -- have no salt, etc. and often taste disgusting.  

The baby foods that taste decent (bananas, other fruits) have no protein.

Babies have FAR different nutritional needs than an obese adult.

Get a food processor and purée your own food if you don't feel there are enough foods that are already the proper consistency for that stage.  Most people don't bother.  They make do with yogurt, soft cheeses, refried beans, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MickeyDee
on 11/20/14 11:21 am

Pureeing food is very easy and shouldn't create any problems for you.  I used my favorite soups, pureed enough to have chunks "... no larger than an eraser..." per my surgeon, heated in a microwave, then stirred in about two tablespoonsful of unflavored protein powder.  

There's no real reason to go for baby foods.  This phase only lasts a couple of weeks or so.

I found that "chewchewchew" was a big help.