My 600 pound life - Penny update tonite.

lburrell
on 1/21/15 9:33 am

Sorry if this is a topic elsewhere and I missed it. Tonight's episode is Penny's update. Her first episode caused such a visceral reaction in me...I'm debating on whether I can stand to watch it. I want to know how she is doing but if she is still in steadfast denial....I'll want to reach through that screen and shake her!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Gwen M.
on 1/21/15 10:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Oooh.  Can't wait to watch it tomorrow!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shortandsweet
on 1/21/15 11:20 am, edited 1/21/15 11:20 am

I watched it. More than anything, I wanted to reach into the tv and shake her husband! He needs to stop enabling her or she is going to die. I feel so so sorry for that poor boy to have to be subjected to that level of dysfunction on a daily basis.

On the other hand, I loved seeing how much progress Tara made! She looks amazing and it is exciting to see how many positive changes she has made in her life. 

Poodlemac
on 1/21/15 12:02 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Penny is still lying to herself and everyone else, sadly. Told the shrink she'd lost 200 lbs. WHAT??  NO!!!

mia97478
on 1/21/15 12:46 pm

It doesn't air here for another 20 minutes but I'm planning on watching it.

Everything about her pissed me off, but similar to a train wreck, I can't look away.

Dr. Colin MacColl, Springfield Oregon- pending surgery

Poodlemac
on 1/21/15 1:00 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Ha!  Exactly!!  But a train wreck will make you sad, she just ****** me off!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/15 1:10 pm - OH

She is still in denial.  Still claiming to have lost more than 200 pounds, still in bed all day every day with her husband doing her bidding. She is still using every little thing (like the small sore that she is calling a "large wound" that is so painful she cannot get out of bed).

It was clear from the initial show that she wasn't anywhere close to psychologically ready for surgery, yet the surgeon agreed to do the surgery anyway.

Although I am sad that she is in exactly the same position she was in before, at least it shows the reality of the dangers of people who are not ready for surgery having it and shows people that if they don't change their eating habits and don't address their psychological issues, they still won't lose the weight. 

Mostly, I feel bad for her son listening to her delusional thinking and reasoning and watching his father enable her.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Poodlemac
on 1/21/15 3:01 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Yes, I was watching it thinking, "what chance does this poor kid have?" 

angel22_99
on 1/21/15 7:25 pm

It is safe to say that yes, she is still in steadfast denial.  There is no way she weighs anywhere in the neighborhood of 400 lbs.

Her story is almost a little personal for me.  I saw her original episode before my VSG (which was on 9/16/14) and was PARANOID that I would end up like her. I mean, I had a terrible track record for dieting, what would make me think that surgery would fix my issues with compliance???  Well, let me tell you...if I try to "cheat," not only will it be very painful, but chances are, it's coming right back up...and that still happens today, four months later.    I know that won't last forever, but at least for right now, it's helping me lose.  I am down 75 as of yesterday (starting weight was 318).

So I rewatched her original show post surgery and was convinced that there were shenanigans in TLC's editing room where they made her look like a failure...because I tried to eat two chicken nuggets three months post-op and I nearly prayed to just die, that's how bad the pain was, so how the H-E-double hockey sticks did she have a net gain of 5 lbs?????  I know we are all different, but come on, how is that possible???

Well....after watching the update show last night, not only is it possible, but it happened.  Her husband looked like he lost more weight than she did.  She probably did drop another 30 - 50 lbs because her face looked a little less "puffy," but a 500 lb+ person should be able to drop 50 by just cutting out soda and candy for a month. (oh, and who else wanted to die when she said she put SODA in her CEREAL when she was at the hospital?  How did she get soda?  Who gave her cereal?  The milk by itself would have been the healthiest choice!)

mia97478
on 1/22/15 7:45 am

My sister had gastric bypass and right after surgery she could still eat more in one sitting than I could, without any issues. She lost the weight but it was very difficult for her.

Dr. Colin MacColl, Springfield Oregon- pending surgery

Most Active