Insurance requirement

ncgirl741
on 3/30/15 4:13 am

I am wanting to have wls but my insurance requires that I have a 3 month supervised weight loss with my pcp.  I have cigna has anyone had trouble getting approved after the 3 month weigh loss?  I curious what kind of diet did your pcp put you on or did you just follow something like ww and your doctor just monitored you for the 3 months?  I guess I am worried if I lose weight I wont get approved for surgery.  I have struggled with my weight my entire life and I just dont want to do what my insurance wants and still be told no.  I am currently 337 have sleep apnea, high bp, lower back pain so I was just wondering what things others have had to go through before having their wls.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/30/15 4:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A supervised diet is very common. For many WLS'ers, it involves checking in with a doctor (surgeon or PCP) each month to discuss weight, food/exercise, and progress. Every insurance plan-- even among Cigna-- is different in what they require, so you may want to call the customer service number for your specific plan and find out what they want.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MARIAME
on 3/30/15 4:28 am

MY BROTHER HAD CIGNA AND HE WAS APPROVED WITHIN THE WEEK.

Requiem
on 3/30/15 5:28 am
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/30/15 12:31 pm - OH

A pre-op diet is a very common requirement.  Your doctor will report your initial weight as well as your final weight to the insurance company.  I have never heard of someone being denied WLS because they lost weight during the 3 or 6 month diet as long as they meet all of the other requirements (which often includes a 3 or 5 year weight history).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active