Protein shakes

newdawnh
on 4/6/15 3:54 am
VSG on 06/16/15

I completed all my preop requirements just waiting for insurance approval and then surgery date my question is what protein shakes would you recommend for before and after surgey having a hard time finding a good one other than slim fast cappucinno delight and it has a little too much sugar

rocky513
on 4/6/15 4:02 am, edited 4/6/15 5:58 am - WI

Seriously...your tastes will change DRAMATICALLY after surgery.  Don't buy large quantities of protein before your surgery.  I bought protein that I loved before surgery and I hated it after.  I had to throw it out.  I couldn't even stand the smell of it.  The best advice I can give is to go to a nutrition site online or a store near you and get samples of many different brands.  Then you can figure out what you like AFTER you have your surgery. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

newdawnh
on 4/6/15 4:15 am
VSG on 06/16/15

Thanks I will keep that in mind

pammiv
on 4/6/15 5:02 am

Agree completely with first post - I bought cases of the one I liked before surgery and hated it afterwards.  Only one I like now are the Syntrax Nectars Roz on the lightweights board told me about. 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

jaifra78
on 4/6/15 5:38 am
RNY on 04/16/14

there's a website that has a bunch of samples that you can purchase and try and then when you find one you like you can buy a big tub of it and like everyone else said I would try them after the surgery. it seems I can't post a hyperlink from my phone  you can just copy and paste it into your browser. Good luck

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html 

Nikkiesprofile
on 4/6/15 1:00 pm

Thank you! This is a great resource!

Tracy D.
on 4/6/15 6:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I really love Unjury Chocolate Splendor (available online only at unjury.com).  You can order single serving packets of the different flavors ahead of time to see which one you like now and then you can commit later after surgery.  

Honestly, it was the ONLY one I could tolerate (and I tried more than a dozen).  Make sure that whatever you choose it's 100% whey protein isolate - not a concentrate or blend.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

chubbs54
on 4/7/15 3:51 am

These are all good advise. I am scheduled for my 1st meeting on May 11th and I was looking at your weight loss#s with the VSG which is what I plan on having. You are an inch taller but I like the wight loss that you've had. Did you do alot of excerise and walking the 1st month. I'm not really sure of what I want to ask questions about any advise you'd like to pass on would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,

Diane

Tracy D.
on 4/7/15 4:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Diane -- I did not do a lot of exercise the first month because I wasn't released to do any vigorous activity for the first 6 weeks.  I did walk on a treadmill during that time.  My exercise for the first year was very, very moderate - nothing crazy, nothing extreme.  I didn't move into more vigorous exercise until I'd been in maintenance for a good 3-4 months. 

I've said it before in other posts and I'll say it to you:  Exericse is NOT how you will lose this weight.  Exercise is how you will increase your heart/lung capacity and strengthen your muscles so you can move more easily.  Exercise is how you will become more flexible after a lifetime of sitting on your butt :-)   Exercise is how you will more easily maintain your weight once you hit goal. 

Then how will you lose weight?  You will lose weight based on what you put in your mouth every single day.  Period.  End of story.  You will never - and I mean never - out-exercise bad eating habits.  

I'm not saying this to discourage you from exercising - not at all!  But I get tired of people thinking they need to increase their exercise and do more and more and more only to get burnt out and stop doing anything at all because the scale isn't moving.  They believe that hard work in the gym should be rewarded on the scale...and that is not going to happen.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

chubbs54
on 4/7/15 4:20 am

Hi Tracy,

I'm really not the type of person who does much excercise but my big thing is having all the loose skin hanging. I have lost weight twice ony to gain it back but the 1st time was on Jenny Craig and I was a diehard with arobics and walking went down from size 20 to size 10 Ilost 75 lbs. And I must say I looked pretty good but then that was when I was in my late 30's.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1317 views