Kate True-Brit: Online Memorial Service

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/15 2:58 pm - OH

I still feel stunned by the news of her death.  Those of us who had the honor (and I truly DO consider it to have been an honor) to get to know her more personally, and on a deeper level, on R&R than on the main forums knew she wasn't feeling well the night she passed, and many of us were very concerned for her health, but she was greatly looking forward to leaving for Italy the next morning.  Her last message was especially alarming, and remembering it makes my heart ache.

Remembering her great humor and caring, though, make my heart feel warm.  She shared her wit, her intelligence, her irreverence, she struggles,  and her joys.  She had the rare ability to be blunt without being harsh.  She was truly a special woman.

She will be missed so much here that I cannot even imagine how much those who knew her "in person" are going to miss her. 

Rest in peace, Kate.  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/9/15 5:14 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Kate True Brit:

I only knew you thru your posts, but I found you to be very vibrant, level headed, nice & caring & it's something I hope to be at your age, vibrant & full of life. You've helped more people than you could've ever known. You've helped newbies like myself & probably answered the same questions over and over & gave advice & support. You were one of the few people that stayed, for years, & helped many people in the OH community.

I'm honored to have gotten to know you a little bit more thru the R&R family. Know that you've touched the hearts of many & you will be sorely missed. The family will never be the same without you.

RIP Kate

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Mary Gee
on 6/9/15 5:25 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Kate was one of the vets who makes OH the wonderful family that it is.  Often times I am touched by the generosity of the "old-timers" who continue to answer questions and give support to us newbies who have so much to learn.  Just today I saw a thread by a newbie who had lots of questions, and so many people responded sharing their experiences and giving support and inspiration.  Kate was one of those vets.  She was a lovely person with a warm heart, great sense of humor, and generous spirit.  I will miss her greatly.  OH is truly a place to call home - I'm here every day, and am constantly reading and learning, and trying to share my experiences also, to pay back what I have gained here.

RIP Kate - You are missed.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Ladytazz
on 6/9/15 8:00 pm

Thank you Bette for starting this.

I've been so sad since I heard that she passed.  I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.  She took so much time to try and help people and it means a lot to me that those of you who have been around a while still try to reach out to the newer people in spite of how stubborn we can be.

I desperately needed to know that you can lose weight with surgery, any kind of surgery since I've had a few, and keep it off.  To see those of you how hang in there and share your continued victories and struggles means more than I can say.  It gives me hope that I, too, can look forward to winning at times my lifelong battle with obesity.

I just can't believe I won't read her words again.  Even though I never met her in person I feel like I've known her, like I feel like I know some of you, because I am her and she was me.  A person trying daily to defeat this nasty condition called obesity the best we can.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/9/15 8:47 pm

Kate was funny, irreverent, erudite, kind, and a friend to all of us. We are enriched by the time she spent with us, and the world is lessened with her passing.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

NYMom222
on 6/9/15 9:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I only knew Kate with her kindness and wit for a short time on these boards. I have been thinking about her for days since I heard, and am shocked at her passing. Life is so short. RIP Kate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

seattledeb
on 6/9/15 11:34 pm

I have been offline for this week and was so sad to come back and read this horrible news. I had read her latest post and was concerned for her.

I've been on OH since 2008. She was here then with her patient and helpful advice. I only have good thoughts of her.

My condolences to her family.

Deb T.

emelar
on 6/10/15 8:41 am - TX

I have nothing to say that others haven't said more eloquently.  She will be missed.  My prayers are with her family.

Dev *.
on 6/10/15 9:46 am - Austin, TX

I will miss Kate, she's been an ever-present part of my journey as we were banded at about the same time. She was no-nonsense and always supportive and remained devoted to sticking around this place and being of help whenever possible. We certainly lost someone special. I'm trying to let go of my anger at her doctor for missing what seemed so obvious.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Amy R.
on 6/10/15 11:10 am

So many things to say, just can't wrap them up in a coherent little package yet.  My heart hurts.

One thing I'm sure of though: because of Kate I will never again assume that "internet friends" that we've never met in person can not make real differences in our lives.

Words mean things and Kate's legacy will be her words - her posts of encouragement, discouragement and even the ones she wrote skewering one of the many "numpty"s that periodically climb aboard the OH train.  I truly enjoyed her sharp mind, dry sense of humor and especially her honesty.  

Rest in peace Kate.  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1493 views