food budget?

chaplainJess
on 6/12/15 5:47 am

I am considering RNY and a random question jumped into my head this morning. -

Every time I diet, my food gets more expensive. I am eating less, but what I do eat costs more. What about the post-RNY lifestyle? I would imagine that the food budget will drop due to the small portions? 

Do you spend more or less on food post-op?   

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/12/15 6:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My food budget (for a family of 3) has definitely decreased.  I am an avid cook and make most things from scratch -- and have always had very little food waste.  However, our spending has gone down appreciably, while the quality of our food has increased.  I do tend to buy the best quality meats that were really too spendy before.  My husband and son eat much more normal portions than I did pre-surgery -- and I never noticed how much I over-cooked until after surgery.  Now I cook correct portion sizes.

I will say that if I include the cost of my monthly supplements, it may be closer to being a wash?  

Also, our restaurant budget has dramatically changed.  Our usual bill for a family restaurant meal was around $50.  The other night we ate out and I paid 19 with a 6 tip!  So, there's that, too.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

crystal M.
on 6/11/15 11:40 pm, edited 6/11/15 11:42 pm - Joliet, IL

My grocery bill went up because of the quality of food I am buying and cooking from scratch.  More fresh organic produce.  Quality cut organic meat.  Fresh home cooked meals take more ingredients.  Rather than buying convenience foods.  Like a can of soup is cheaper than making your own soup.   

But I don't eat out any where as much as I used to.  I always bring a lunch to work now.  Where before I would go out to eat and sometimes stop for breakfast on the way into work (not anymore).  And I eat out maybe once or twice a week now.  So the expenses/savings just shifted.  Where I spend more on groceries, I save on eating out.  It pretty much evens out for me. 

hl1524
on 6/12/15 7:33 am - Austin, TX

I spend less on food in general. When we go out I always have leftovers. However like another poster had mentioned it probably evens out some with what I spend on supplements. Don't let that scare you though I could probably save money there too if I shopped sales like some do. 

RNY 8/27/2014

akanikkie
on 6/12/15 10:20 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I have my supplements ordered through my doctor/insurance company and it's only $25/month.  I was happy to learn I could do this!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 1:26 am, edited 6/12/15 1:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The amount I spend at the grocery store is totally offset by the amount I save by not eating out as much.  Between the two of us, we could easily blow through $300-$400 a month on breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners eating out.  It was eye-opening to actually add it all up! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/12/15 12:53 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Far, far less.  We used to eat/order out five nights a week.  Now I cook and actually prefer eating the foods I prepare.  Because my quantities are so limited, I don't need to buy much to feed just the two of us.  Even when we eat out there's always leftovers to take home. 

The vitamins - at least the ones I like - can be a little pricey, but the lowered food costs exponentially offset the amount I spend on them each month.  My bank account tells the tale too.  I rarely need to go to the bank because I don't need cash to pay for lunch everyday.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kiwideb
on 6/12/15 7:37 am, edited 6/12/15 7:37 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Except for the cheese bill, which is high enough to fund a small island nation for a year, my food bills both at home or out have reduced considerably.

mysty888
on 6/12/15 3:23 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

I spend A LOT less. I'm only 4 and a half months post-op, so my grocery bill will probably rise slightly over time, but the money I save on eating out is huge. Even if I do go out to eat, I usually order sides or split something with my bf, so our bill is way less. I also don't spend any money on alcohol anymore. It wasn't a lot I spent before, maybe a glass of wine with dinner, or a ****tail or two, but that is completely removed from my budget. As far as groceries, I like to shop sales and stock up on chicken and meat for the freezer when I find good deals. I don't waste money on stocking up on starchy side dishes or tons of snacks. No ice cream, cookies, goodies, chips, etc. either. I do spend more on deli meats, yogurts, and lots on cheese. The most expensive thing for me is protein. I buy the ready to drink ones for me, they are the only ones I can tolerate. I also buy A LOT of protein powder for my son; he supplements with them and has lost 51 pounds. He uses four scoops a day because his caloric and nutritional requirements are a lot higher than for me. Overall though, I definitely save money.

Racewalker48
on 6/12/15 3:26 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

My food expense went way down, mostly due to buying less food, eating out less and also because of not buying alcohol. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1372 views