5 years out--needing something--diet advice

brownblonde
on 6/30/15 8:10 am

Hi all.  So I'm up to about 156, having regained about 5lbs.  I could tell you that I'm pretty pleased with the fact I've only gained back 5lbs. in the 5 years but I'd be lying--because I wanted to go in the other direction!  And it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I just seem to maintain and then slowly gain (like maybe .2-.5 every few weeks).  I am in the middle of studying for a big exam in a month and with all the stress and time involved I know that if I don't institute a new, strict plan, things could get bad.  Very bad.  There's vending machines and friends who want to go out to eat after a long study period.  And alcohol to cope.  Now nothing's gotten too out of hand yet, but I want to put a stop to that.  Usually I cook a lot.  I eat fairly healthy when I do that, but I just won't have the time!  

So I've been doing the unthinkable--researching different mail-delivery crash diety things to get me back on track.  Now hear me out.  For this next month I won't have time to enjoy food anyway.  I'm going to be grabbing and eating.  Wouldn't it be nice if that food didn't blow me up?  You know what would be even nicer?  If I could have some supercharged weightloss and go in the different direction on the scale since I'm going to be miserable this next month anyway.  And, bonus, in 5 weeks I will be sitting on the beach, reveling in my study success and hopefully weightloss success.

Portion control, calorie control, and convenience are key for me this next month.  

I've never done Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Medifast, my own frozen food diet, etc.  I have done HCG injections in the past and am considering doing them again but honestly I don't think there's anything so magic about the HcG more than the fact you're on a 500 calorie starvation diet and I gained back the weight just as fast.  Now all that was pre-WLS so hopefully now my smaller stomach will make maintenance after any of these easier.  

Obviously my tool is still the most important aspect of my weightloss.  I just need a convenient way to lose weight and not fall into the trappings of vending machines and fast food.  Any recommendations on diets that would fit the bill?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/30/15 8:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If Jenny Craig or any of those gave "supercharged weight loss," none of us would have had surgery in the first place.

Try packing your own chow in advance, making up little plastic baggies of good food. That's pretty much what all of those diets are anyway. Get WLS-appropriate bars and shakes if they would be easier for you (because the ones on the diet plans are inevitably too low in protein, too high in carbs, and way more expensive) and keep them stashed. Stock up on frozen things like pre-seasoned fish fillets, premade meatballs, and soups that you can add protein powder to.

Bottom line is to eat less and track what you DO eat. That's all that those diet plans have you do anyway.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mell
on 6/30/15 10:39 am

I know how you feel, you just want to get those extra pounds off and get back to maintenance. I am in the same boat. I started getting B shots and in the last month have kept my diet to just a handful of items (organic jerky, raw almonds, plain greek yogurt, shrimp, rotisserie chicken from Costco, and salad no dressing) so far lost 5 of the 10 I need to loose.  I also stopped eating at 6 which is hard if you are up late for school work but maybe if you are less hungry in the morning you could get up early to study instead?  Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Kathy S.
on 6/30/15 10:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Saying stop at a 5 pound gain takes great control even if it does not feel like it.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker

Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat, fiber, calories, and sugar. Important vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan)

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lift weights. When I stopped, the weight came on.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Laura in Texas
on 6/30/15 3:14 pm

You have been posting for a while about wanting to be 135 pounds. Do what it takes or figure out how to be happy where you are.

Cut back on your calories and track every bite. Plan ahead. Figure out what works for you. If you think you need a pre-packaged diet plan and have excess money to blow, do that, but maintenance will still be tough.

We all know weight loss surgery is not "magic". It is up to us to make it work. Personal responsibility is key. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

brownblonde
on 6/30/15 8:22 pm

Your "recommendation" (which actually sound like pass aggressive criticism) would be what?  Don't post seeking help on a SUPPORT forum unless you're perfect.  You have posted many times too.  And each time I find your suggestions wholly unhelpful.  Excuse me but I think we are all here because we have struggled with our weight and it's a little high and mighty of you to think that all of a sudden I can just Barbara Eden genie blink this up and not have any more struggles with weight.  I have a new problem.  Your suggestion does nothing besides making me feel guilty.  If tracking food and just saying no did so well for me, I wouldn't have had surgery in the first place.  Apparently it has always worked for you but you must've just had "excess money to blow" when you decided to get WLS.  

Thanks a lot.  

Laura in Texas
on 7/1/15 6:36 am

My insurance paid for my weight loss surgery, but thanks for your concern. I'm sorry my "advice" offended you. There is no magic to weight loss. You have to eat less. Period.

I have lost and kept off 200 pounds at 7 years out. I have a BMI of 22. I AM amazing. If I gain a few, I eat less and lose it. I do not make excuses and ask the same question over and over and over again, ignoring advice others have given me. I take responsibility for my actions.

Good luck to you. I do hope you figure out what works for you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

brownblonde
on 7/1/15 7:12 am

If all you have to do is eat less to lose weight, I could have saved you, you insurance companies, and others a lot of money of surgery.  Just eat less, duh.  It's that simple.  

I have lost 126lbs., and kept off 121 for 5 years out.  I think I have taken responsibility for my actions.  In fact, I think I've taken more responsibility by showing up on here and looking for solutions to a future problems.  Critics like you are the reason why this site has declined since I first had surgery.  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/1/15 2:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You've done a lot of hard work for five years to keep the weight off. It's good that you can see tougher diet issues in the near future, but I honestly don't think there is an answer to your question. There is no magic diet. None of us would be here if there were.

It's not an issue of what you eat, but how much. You could eat nothing but vending machine food for a month and lose weight, if you controlled how much of it you ate. I'm not suggesting it, obviously. But if you weigh and log your food, you can avoid eating too much until your routine gets back to normal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

brownblonde
on 7/1/15 7:14 am

Thank you all for your understanding and ideas.  It is truly a wonderful community to come to for help from people who have been there and are there now.  I am still, and always will be a person struggling with weight, despite the fact I've lost 120lbs.  I know that the only thing that stands between me and 277lbs. is my sleeve and a belief in a better life.