Trouble starting pre-op diet!! Please HELP!

Izzi
on 7/15/15 8:26 am
RNY on 08/12/15

HELLO! 

This is my first post here, and I thought that maybe some of you have any helpful hints on sticking with my pre-op diet. I have stopped all of my appetite blockers in the hope of scheduling my surgery soon thus leaving me EXTRA EXTRA hangry! 

I think I am even gaining weight this week. BOOOOOOO! I had been doing so well but now the two shakes and small meal (usually frozen meal) or small amount of meat and green veggie are not cutting it. I am supposed to be doing this diet plan until I get my surgery date and then I go liquid only. I am really having a hard time. 

Thank you for your time.

Izzi

Mary Gee
on 7/14/15 9:48 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

The pre-op and post-op liquid diet stages are the most difficult.  I've heard that once you make it through day three of the pre-op stage, the hunger passes and it's much easier to deal with.  (I was fortunate - my surgeon only required a 48 hour liquid diet.)

Drink plenty of liquids --- and bear in mind that surgery is just around the corner and you'll be on The Losers' Bench very soon.  All of your efforts will pay off Big Time.  Start reading about NSVs........they should inspire you through this difficult time.

Best of luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Nich_R
on 7/14/15 11:49 pm

It's hard. I was really hangry for the first week. It got easier after that. I was still hungry most of the time but I wasn't as emotional about it. Still had a few days here and there that I was but not like the first week. I was able to eat as many nonstarchy vegetables I wanted to fill up. Are you limited on your veggies? I lost weight during the first week of my pre-op diet, then gained 2 lbs back and then didn't lose anymore. It was frustrating but I knew I was doing what I was supposed to. I'm almost 1 week post-op and have lost 11 lbs. You CAN do this!

What kept me going was my surgery. I was afraid that if I didn't follow the pre-op diet that my surgery would be delayed. Keep your eye on the prize.

This will be so worth it very soon. How is your support system? This site is great. Keep coming back.

Nichole | Portland, OR | VSG 07.08.15 | HW 371.1 | SW 348.2 | CW 199.6 | GW 150

Doingrightin2015
on 7/15/15 3:09 am
RNY on 03/10/15

can you have sugar free pop cycles, sugar free jello, and broth? Also, what about 0 calorie diet drinks, flavored waters? IF you can have these try having some of these when you are hungry. I was allowed these things when I was doing my preop. They really helped.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

MichelleB12
on 7/15/15 5:38 am - Peoria, AZ
VSG on 03/15/08 with

Hi Izzi,

To be totally honest I don't remember any pre-op diet. I ate like a pig and gained like 15 pounds. I remember going on the liquid diet after tho. I also can recall the year after surgery when you can eat food but only a few bits...literally! AND no food taste the same as it did before surgery. It depressed me. I was actually grieving food!!! It was the MOST miserable part of the process and I didn't expect it. It it hadn't been for the FACT that after 3 bites I had to stop eating, I would have NEVER succeeded. I had/have an addiction to food. A True love affair. My advice is to eat clean in that first year and reprogram your thinking. I didn't do that, and today I still struggle with my food addiction. I used my sleeve as an excuse to eat anything I wanted. Therefore, I didn't LEARN anything and struggle today with wanting to make bad choices. Ya, I look ok at 130 in a size 4/5. But I LOVED being 111 and being in a size 0/1 and could literally look good in any style. I'm currently on a "one week-EAT CLEAN Challenge" with NO alcohol and only clean foods. I hate it but I'm trying to get back down to 120 (Which is still very thin for me) So that I can fit back into my clothes. As it stands now, because I never used my sleeve properly and learned to use it to KICK my food addiction. I will now live in fear of weight gain and struggle. So be wises, learn from me, USE YOUR SLEEVE correctly!!! It's so worth it and you will not have to worry about the weight gain. Good luc****ep me posted!!! BTW- Add a darn photo! You will be glad you did!!! ~Shell

AmyDee123
on 7/15/15 6:02 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

You have to do it.  its not a choice.  The choice you have is surgery or no surgery, but if you have chosen the surgery you have to do the pre-op diet.  It serves a purpose.  Its not just to get you ready.  You have to shrink your liver so the doctor can move around inside you to do the surgery.  Otherwise you risk cracking your liver (It can be so fatty that when moving it it breaks and cracks).  Or the doctor will get inside, see he can't maneuver, and close you back up with nothing changed.  That is not fun.

You have to be mentally strong.  If you can't be then you are not ready for the surgery.  Follow the diet you are on now.  Don't think about after.  Trust me.  After you will not be hungry like you are now.  So take that out of your mind.  Just focus on getting through each day with the diet you are allowed.  When you feel extra hungry, drink a big glass of water or crystal light.  Enjoy it.  It will be the last time you can chug a bunch of water.  And its good for you to be really well hydrated.  You need to flush that fat leaving your liver out somehow.  And it will help you lose pre-op weight.

Count yourself lucky.  Some of us got 3 optifast shakes a day and NOTHING ELSE.  Jus****er.  no 3rd meal, veggies, jello, broth, etc.  Just the three shakes a day.  Count your blessings, find ways to motivate yourself, and make sure you are focused on how important it is to shrink your liver and be healthy.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Izzi
on 7/15/15 8:32 am
RNY on 08/12/15

Thanks! Great advice!

Izzi
on 7/15/15 8:30 am
RNY on 08/12/15

Thank You all for your advice and opinions!

You have given me some great "food" for thought! 

izzi

crystal M.
on 7/15/15 9:01 am - Joliet, IL

It does get better.  Believe it or not you get used to not eating.

I just kept myself very busy, the busier I was the less my mind was on food.  Stayed away from the TV...the commercials drove me nuts.  And went to bed early. 

Most Active