Exercise during Pre-Op Diet

LynnAlex
on 7/21/15 3:45 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I am trying to exercise 30-60 minutes a day.  I am a little weak, but I was wondering if this period is the same post-op.  I am supposed to do 2 weeks with only protein shakes, sf Popsicle, broth and Crystal Light.  I feel like sitting around, but I don't want to be bored and eat out of boredom, so I am pushing myself to exercise.  Yesterday it was 2 hours at the lake, today (day 2) it was only 45 min walking.  I was wondering if this feels like after surgery and you are in "hibernation" where you just want to sit out the low food stage (besides the pain).  I've had other major operations, and even went skating with the drains tucked in my pants.  So...question is should I pu**** or rest???  How about after surgery, rest or push? 

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/21/15 3:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I won't lie, for at least a month after surgery I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. SUPER tired, not much energy, naps every day. Healing takes energy!

At first, anything you can do is good. Even 15 minutes of walking is great! But there's no shame in holding off on the jogging or cycling or power-lifting until you've recovered a bit and have some energy back.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jamrodriguez
on 7/21/15 11:46 pm

I felt the same way when I started my 2 week pre-op diet I was so weak and tired. It felt like my muscles were working on half as hard as normal. But around my 4th day I started having more energy and endurance again. I think our bodies go through carb withdrawal when we first start thebpre-op diet. Just do what you can and push through it. In a few days you'll feel a little more normal. After surgery you won't be able to do much more than walk for exercise for 6 weeks, so build up your muscles while you can!

Chilipepper
on 7/22/15 7:01 am

When was your surgery? You shouldn't start any strenuous exercise program until at least 6 weeks post op. Your body is healing and you have internal stitches. Walking is all you need for now. You need to rest and allow your body to heal

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 7/22/15 7:03 am

I thought you were post op.  Keep the info I wrote above for later. Don't worry about crazy exercise for now. You have cut your calories down drastically. Just live normally for now. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active