Wednesday B*TCHFest: You're welcome

Pokemom
on 8/12/15 5:45 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

My brother (a computer programmer) has done this for a few years for my parents, who are 80 and 83 years old.  My parents are mentally alert, and very capable.  It is just that the computer stuff is still kind of a new world for them.  Even though they purchased one of the first personal computers way back in the early 80's, it is a level of complexity in a different medium that they did not have for so much of their professional lives.  There are so many new paradigms.  The Apple paradigms are different enough from Windows, which are different enough from DOS (*****members that?, but it is what they learned initially).

Anyhow, the remote access has really turned out to be a great thing.  Brother is able to quickly assess things that would be too hard to do through a conversation. 

Best of luck to you with this.

Gwen M.
on 8/12/15 5:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That's reassuring!  I think that remote access is the way to go here.  Since I just can't troubleshoot in phone conversations when I can't see the screen, nor can I go through it on my own laptop at the same time!  

My parents are similar - one of the first PCs back in the 80s and they've had computers ever since.  My mom is pretty awesome with computers since she uses one every day in her work but my dad.. sigh.  And it's only gotten worse with his cognitive decline.  

So.. remote access it is, until something else needs to change.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SkinnyScientist
on 8/12/15 12:40 pm

1) Not enough hours in a day

2) Not enough wine in the bottle

3) Hyper-religious old men in my biblestudy that keep dictating that my husband and I NEED to sell my 2 bed, 2 bath condo and buy "a studio, anything that neither of us have lived in before"

4) Hyper-religious old men picking to choose the "wives submit to your husbands" passage for bible study.

5) Hyper religious old men-telling me interest rates are still old and that I can get a better interest rate with a christian lender without knowing WHAT my interest rate is

6) Maybe it is just the hyper-religious old men...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/12/15 1:36 pm

That's why I gave up on church... 

it is time to find new church..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 8/12/15 2:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I can't stand hyper religious men or the hyper religious women who allow them to get away with it,like my DD.

Pokemom
on 8/12/15 5:49 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hyper-religious people who are judgmental in any way:  Yes!  I am a very religious person, but I do appreciate people who focus on what the basics of the religion are--sometimes people think that cultural norms equal religion.  Different things.  And although I don't like to categorize, I see this in my congregation too:  the older men really do seem to struggle more with change, struggle more with accepting differences.

NYMom222
on 8/12/15 8:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, maybe it is time to find a new church, or at least a new bible study

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

radze09
on 8/12/15 2:02 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Went to the doctor today. Have to have a biopsy done Friday on my left boob cause they can't figure out what the mass is from the mammogram and ultrasound. Fun times! Husband buys discount tickets for kings island and books a hotel so we can stay over. Great, right?? NO, he didn't look at the dates or the park hours. The day we were to go the tickets aren't valid for and the park is only open 5pm to 10pm. Called K I and they said we can "upgrade" out tickets to the normal price so we can still go. WTF, really? Driving hour and a half to be there 5 hours, nope! So we are canceling the hotel and hoping to "upgrade" our tickets later. If my husband would only READ sometimes......

pammiv
on 8/12/15 3:32 pm

Have hip bursitis in both hips.  Thought losing 85 of my 100lbs would help but I am still in pain.  Sleep on my sides and toss and turn all night when it start to hurt.  Can't get used to sleeping on back or tummy.  Doctor gave Cortizone shot which did NOTHING!  UUUGGHHH - I know I should be thrilled I am losing and I am - just wish I could sleep.

Lastly - ex sister in law who said ex left me and his kids because I had 'let myself go with my weight' now tells me at a baby shower how I am too skinny and should get help - WTF!  

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/12/15 5:23 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  Maybe worse.  Didn't think it was possible.

First day driving his company owned BMW, he hits a huge pot hole and blows out the run-flat tire.  His car had to be towed back to the office.  After three attempts, he still can't pass the driver's license exam.

In Japan, visitors wear white cotton gloves when they tour a plant.  Our American visitors would look at us like we were insane if we offered them these gloves, but we have them available.  The new president now wants special jackets for visitors to wear.  They have to be a special color, special fabric, particular thickness and style, and of course must have our name and logo.  Since he only wants size medium, I'm guessing he doesn't expect the Americans to wear them.

It's going to be a loooooooooooooong five years with this guy.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1546 views