Change the Way You Think~ Celebrating Good Days ~

huskergalWsD
on 9/15/15 7:35 am

I'm watching Good Morning America~ A little talk about healthy choices. Now 8 years Post Op. I am bringing this to my attention. Yea, I'm Slow..I'd love to hear your stories how you are CELEBRATING GOOD DAYS.

Growing Up we celebrated going to Jack in the Box (California Burger places)and eating out always at Buffet style eating. I have kept this way of thinking even in my new weight loss journey. Yes even as early as my 1st.day after weight loss surgery.. I remember eating at KING KONG hamburgers just 2 weeks Post OP. when I had a good day. Well that was a big mistake I believe, To this day I have maintained my 100 Lb. weight loss, (great right?!) however I still wanted to lose another 20 lbs. That would have made me a size 14  What I was in my younger days.from a size 22/24. I am 6' tall so that actually gives me a great body looking body. Can wear a BIKINI at a size 14. Hipster style Bikini. I believe I could have lost that "last 20" had I already changed my way of thinking about how to Celebrate good days. Those burgers slowed down my weight loss a lot.

So as of today 9/15/15 I am pledging my promise to change the way I celebrate good days. Still wanting to lose that "last 20" .. I'd love to hear your Ways of Celebrating good days. Have a great day everyone...PeaceV....Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/15 7:55 am

well.. I still go to havea great food... I just make better choices (like high quality burger- no fillers, no bun; seafood place, or good old fillet minion..) I got to eat.. my friend and family got to eat- so we do that for special occasions like birthdays, holidays, etc. 

I still love to have people over and I am a great cook...so we eat, drink and socialize.. 

food is not evil, fat is not evil - the quality of food is what I concentrate on today...and i avoid starchy carbs - grains... and most fruits... 

maintaining size 6-8 pants...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/15 8:08 am - Canada

I treat myself to a manicure or pedicure. I've only done it once but plan to do it many times again.

Chris

peachpie
on 9/15/15 10:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I started getting my nails done the 3 weeks post op. Its a luxury I never allowed myself before for a few reasons. Its not necessarily celebrating anything 'good' in particular, its more so a matter of making me a priority, no different that me making the time to exercise. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

kaniky
on 9/15/15 8:14 am
RNY on 05/18/15

For every 25 pounds I lose, I am treating myself to a massage.  I go this week to celebrate 50 pounds gone!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Ladytazz
on 9/15/15 11:44 am

My family celebrates birthdays and other special occasions with gatherings that feature food or meals out.  I think most families do.

I have 5 kids and 8 grandkids so that is a lot of celebrating.  Tonight we are going out to eat at a Chinese place for my oldest son's birthday.  We get together at least every month for some celebration or another, or just to get together.

I also go out to eat with my boyfriend every week on his day off.  He works 6 days a week and on his day off he likes to go out to eat.  I had my surgery on a Friday and the following Thursday I was at a restaurant with him and my daughter.  I don't think I ate but I enjoyed the company.

And tomorrow a bunch of us from work are going out to a restaurant for a get together.

The point is there will always be celebrations and occasions with a lot of food around.  Unless I want to hide in my house I can't avoid it and I don't want to.  I have had to learn to make good choices no matter where I am or where I go.  I do not want to be the one that has to have special food made or have the choices of where we go out to eat limited because I can't eat there.  I want to fit in and not stand out.

We go out to buffets frequently.  That is usually the best choice with so many people with so many different tastes to ensure that everyone can get what they want.

At first I didn't want to go because I felt it was a waste of money.  Like I would really be able to eat $13 worth of food at one setting even at my heaviest.  But somehow I felt I was getting my money's worth at an all you can eat place.

I also refused to ask for a special price because I couldn't eat much.  Like I said, I do not want to stand out or call attention to myself.  So I go and pay my $13 and choose what I like.  I pay for the variety and choices, not the amounts.

Some places have senior menus and since I am considered a senior at most places (55+) I have no problem ordering from that.  Other times I get what I want and bring home enough food for at least one other meal.  I don't even give it a second thought.  It is my new normal.

When a waitress asks if I enjoyed my food after seeing half of it left on my plate I just tell them I did but I wasn't very hungry but I would happily eat the rest later.  I don't tell them about my surgery.  My medical history isn't anyone's business if I don't care to share it.  

Of course not everyone does things like I do.  Especially early out I was very careful and I learned how to order and what I could eat.  It was all a learning experience to learn how to live with my new insides.  Because unlike other diets this is for life.  I couldn't just go into a restaurant and put my diet on hold because it was my birthday or some other special occasion.  I can't go on and off WLS.  It is there and I have to make it work for my own lifestyle.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/15/15 12:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm into cycling, and buying new swag is a good way to celebrate. My one really big reward was a new road bike-- nothing fancy, but WAY better than my big-box mountain bike. Lots of little milestones too.

5lb lost? New set of wrenches!

Maintained a better speed than I ever have before? Bluetooth heart-rate monitor!

Rode for two hours without stopping? Time to upgrade my pedals!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bruindiva92
on 9/17/15 12:38 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I have not purchased anything to celebrate my weight loss as of now.  I've got 2 pounds to lose to meet my surgeon's goal of 75% excess weight gone--80 pounds!  I am going to splurge on a very expensive purse!    

Most Active