4 days post surgery

alieskia
on 9/25/15 6:42 am

i cant believe how easily EVERYTHING went. the only concern i have is i weighed MORE leaving the hospital. in two days i gained ten pounds. they tokd neit was gas and fluids and the wires i was still attached to, but  COME on????  i STILL feel bloated. when does thus HUGE weight loss begin????

Tracy D.
on 9/25/15 7:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the loser's bench!   They pump you up with a TON of fluids in the hospital to prevent against dehydration.  It will take several days of you moving around and drinking lots of fluid to get that all flushed out.  

Don't worry - most people experience this!  The weight loss will come soon enough (but probably not soon enough for you )

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

alieskia
on 9/25/15 10:24 am

Thank you Tracy!! i didn't want to get discouraged soo early on.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/26/15 9:11 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Alieska

Be reasonable with your expectations, the process of major surgery, and your body.  I suggest that you not weigh yourself at home and hold-off until you go back to your doctor and be (pleasantly) surprised because your body will rid itself of the excess fluid, etc.  Stay focused on what you need to eat, drink, and move around, not the scale - I know this is easier said than done.  I am 9 months post WLS and I never had a big drop - just 12-15 pounds a month, but the losses add up. I am ecstatic with my progress but I had to get used to my body doing its thing - versus a friend of mine who lost 30 pounds the first month, 25 the second, on top of losing 60 pounds before surgery.  I approached it as a discovery to see what would happen rather than be disappointed that my body hadn't done what I wanted.

I also found these video from Dr. Matt Weiner helpful: (This video is the best explanation I have come across - its only a few min long)

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-much-weight-will-i-lose-after-bariatric-surgery/

You cannot base any assessment on your first 2 weeks out of the hospital for the reasons explained to you - your body is recovering from major surgery - treat it kindly, follow doctors orders, and hold off on weighing yourself because it will just bother you.

I find that a goal of having a Healthy relationship with food and your body is a place to start.

Best of luck,

Sharon

Most Active