Upset with myself

Jenn77p
on 10/3/15 12:11 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

eight weeks post op. I was doing great!!! Until I had my daughters bday party last night. I indulged in chips. ? Of course not the entire bag, but enough to make me sick. Why do I continue to kill myself.

Im done. Done done. No more. Not another bite.

Jenn 77 p

shirleym
on 10/3/15 12:50 pm - Springfield, OR

Unfortunately, the surgery does not get rid of the reason we got fat. We turned to food for multiple different reasons - it was our coping mechanism in times of hurt and celebration.

The surgery is only a tool to help us. I had surgery in 2007 and I still find myself getting hungry when I know it isn't physical, it is head hunger. The trick is stopping to question yourself about why you are feeling that way. For me, I know it will always be there waiting to take over in a weak moment. I have failed on many occasions - you must not beat yourself up over failures, resolve to do better for yourself and move on with it.

The worst thing you can do is to throw your hands up, tell yourself you can't do this and go completely off the rails. That leads to more poor choices and regaining. We can't change yesterday, we can only do better today.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/15 5:15 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

No one's going to tell you it was a good idea, but it's not like we get MO by having excellent self-control in these situations, and that definitely doesn't change overnight. The other day I overindulged in popcorn and started to feel sick -- my blood sugar shot up to 214 right after and down to 64 an hour later. It was miserable. All we can do is learn our lessons and move on. Keep your head up!

LynnAlex
on 10/3/15 5:53 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

We all make mistakes. It is a big learning life experience. I know the feeling of failing, of being sick and wondering why in the world did I eat that. But, I won't be eating those items again. I am sure you dodged many bad choices at the party. Congratulate yourself on those accomplishments. Next time, finish the game, take the ball home. You probably skipped the hotdog/pizza, soda, cake and ice cream. Next time, you will know that you can't put your defense down for a second. You can not allow yourself an impulse, STOP and think. The good news is that there will be many more birthday parties where you can practice your new coping skills :)

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Jenn77p
on 10/4/15 7:12 am
RNY on 08/07/15

Thanks for helping me not focus on just my mistakes. You are completely right. I did skip the pizza ( I only ate the cheese). I skipped ice cream, cake, cookies, soda. In The past I would have had a lot of everything. It's so hard to change everything I have done on a regular daily basis for 38 years. I have never made heAlthy choices in the past. However I'm trying to learn. Eight weeks is nothing compared to 38 years of bad habits. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

Jenn 77 p

Most Active