Help with paying for vitamins: am on limited income

diehardhusky11
on 10/5/15 1:04 pm

Hello, everyone. It's been more than 5 years. I couldn't find my old username.

I'm 7.3 years RNY postop. I've had difficulties with paying for my vitamins. I've cut corners and I've found I cant.

IE: iron. Become anemic, muscle pain, and so forth.

IE: calcium Got hyper parathyroidism. Heart problems, suicidal thoughts, depression

IE: vitamin D. Bone pain, muscle pain

IE: docusate sodium. w/o it, constipation

IE: protein

i had help the first two years. Since then, I've become more broke than ever before.

Im on Medicare/Medicaid. The United Healthcare covers vitamins, but they are not chewables.

Are there any programs that I'm not aware of?

kelly

seattle, wa

Felicity Q.
on 10/5/15 2:22 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Not sure if my post is going to be helpful, but I have to ask: Are you certain you still need chewables over 7 years post-op? Could 'regular' vitamins work for you and if needed, you can break them down into smaller pieces?

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/15 3:03 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Why do you still need chewables more than 7 years out? I was told those were only needed for the first couple of months.

Laura in Texas
on 10/5/15 3:25 pm

I get all my vitamins at CVS or Walgreens when it's BOGO free. I only spend around $20/month.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/5/15 4:22 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Celebrate has financial assistance. You must apply for it and it runs out quickly:

Celebrate Bariatric Vitamins financial assistance

I do want to reiterate, however, that you do NOT need chewables and there are some very low-cost options via Rite-Aid and Wal-Mart that would meet your dietary needs. Also, if you are really so broke that those truly aren't options, depending on your age, you could ask your doctor to prescribe pre-natal vitamins for "trying to conceive" as medicaid will cover that. Judging by your inclusion of medicare, I am thinking you are past that age -- but they will also cover supplements if you actually are deficient (i.e. iron, etc)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 9:38 pm

Hey,

Just know I've been there and done that...lost insurance shortly after surgery. If you are that far post surgery you will be able to absorb some of the regular vitamins.Look for the childrens chewables, on the discount rack! For Iron, use liver, make a patty out of it like you would with salmon and add protein powder of some kind to it,( I like chocolate flavored in mine, I put one big scoop of a high protein powder,) of one of the over the counter ones..and enough flour to thicken it, with three eggs, to a pound of chicken liver..and some spices, garlic powder, onion, chicken seasoning.I put in a skillet just wiped with olive oil on a tissue to coat..turn over and cook other side, .. Just eat about 1-2 ounces of a liver patty twice a day for four days a week..by it being a small amount you can get it in easier... One lb of chicken liver can be prepared and placed in the refrig/ freezer In individual servings and taken out and thawed as you need it. Calcium citrate...comes in a liquid, and it is very necessary! Magnesium I take 3 250 mg(I get mine OTC at dollar store,about 4$)tablets with vitamin D3 each night with my calcium...The D3 will help your mood and as you rebalance your system you will improve "all over". The hormonal issues will throw off your labs and your over all health. address your protein, there is a soy protein by spring valley at wal mart, for about 7$ a small jar, start there, eat liver...get some sun for vitamin D...20 minutes every day, no sunscreen for that 20 minutes... I don't know about parathyroid issue, can't address it, but it is probably issue that is impairing use of your vitamins. You will have to search for the dose that gives you a sustainable level. You must get your minerals in balance, to keep your teeth.. Oh < Make bone broth! use left over bones from a roasted chicken,(take out tiny bones) Use a 2 quart pot.. cover bones and all scrapings with water by 3 inches. add one tablespoon vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best,) and before you make eggs in the morning wash the egg shells off, and save the egg shells, Put just the egg shells in the pot with the chicken and vinegar... add chicken bullion, about a tablespoon... let it simmer for about an hour and a half on real low...add water if necessary and don't let it scorch...then take out bones, and the egg shells.Chill in refrig. and skim off the fat... drink the broth and use in any recipe where you would use chicken broth.. .very high in everything your bones need.. and cheap to make. a couple of cups a day will help you boost your calcium, mag, selenium, phosphorus.hould make at least 6 cups.will appear milky.

Denise
Grim_Traveller
on 10/6/15 8:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You absolutely don't need chewable vitamins. I find BOGO deals on multivitamins, and they cost me $13 per year. Calcium is a little more expensive, but deals are out there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/7/15 9:39 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I get mine through

ProCare Pharmacy Care

Phone 800-662-0586

FAX 800-662-0590

Check with them about if your insurance will cover. My Dr. sends them the perscription and I just pay one co-pay per month for the multi, calc, and B12. I am not as far out as you.

I know people as far out as you are taking 2 Flinstones chewables and some others.

Sharon

Most Active