Excited and anxious about traveling after surgery....

Pianolover
on 10/13/15 11:52 am

I am leaving next week for a week long vacation, flying all the way across the country. I haven't been away from home and my normal routine at all since surgery. I am excited for the exciting NSV of fitting into the airplane seat and everything, but I am anxious about how to keep my rigid protein/food/vitamin regimen while I'm gone. The first challenge: traveling all day and getting the protein in. My surgeon has high protein requirements and having a DS I try to do 4 protein shakes a day but at least 3. I'm planning on taking a bunch of premier protein for the week in a check-in bag, but I'm not seeing how to get any through security to get me through the 2 days of flying on either end of the trip. Flying, layovers, and airport time will probably be 10-12 hours. I will take high protein snacks, but protein drinks are so much easier. Has anyone been successful in taking protein drinks through security?

Secondly, I've had a lot of trouble with vomiting. It has gotten better in the last month or two, but still I'm very cautious with what I eat to avoid it. So because of that I'm worried about having to eat out so much. I'm planning on taking my food scale since I am horrible at eye-balling a 4 ounce portion. I'll still be in the US with access to walmart and everything so I guess I will stock up on nuts, string cheese, greek yogurt....but its everything in between that I'm nervous about. any and all advice is appreciated!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

emelar
on 10/13/15 12:06 pm - TX

Take protein powder with you in individual serving sizes. Get a cup of coffee and an empty cup with a little water. Dissolve the protein powder in the water, then pour it into the coffee like cream. Protein coffee. You can do the same thing with jus****er or milk, whatever your preference.

Protein bars are also an option for travel. They travel easily.

Or you can bring some beef or chicken jerky, some string cheese, or some nuts. You can buy various kinds of yogurt in most major airports. And they may very well have some sort of protein drink, like Muscle Milk, in the stores in the terminals. At least, they do in DFW! Just plan ahead and stop worrying. If you're a little low on protein for a day or two, it won't harm you.

kathkeb
on 10/13/15 4:11 pm

As the other poster said, you can take protein powder through security.

i used to Putin into a ziplock bag in individual servings. Then, I put my ziplock so into a shaker cup with a lid.

at the airport, I could get a small coffee and a bottle of water and mix a little coffee with a little water to cool it off a bit, shake in the powder and then adjust more coffee and water to taste.

you could 'chug' a ready to drink protein before you go through security ..... And have real food at your layover, too.

every airport has a place you can get yogurt, or a sandwich where you can pull off the meat and cheese, or a grilled chicken breast. It might be a little pricey, but there are lots of protein choices in airports.

i travelled weekly my first 2 years post op and never had a problem making it work.

Kath

kathkeb
on 10/13/15 4:16 pm

As far as measuring food ... My rule of thumb was to either share a meal with my husband (1/4 for me,3/4 for him)

Or, I ordered my own meal and segregated 1/4 of the food to the bread plate ...... Then, I either wrapped up the rest to go (if you have to way to keep it fresh) or if I was not going to keep it, I doused it with pepper so I would not want to eat it.

one-fourth of a restaurant was pretty much the amounts was supposed to be eating.

with a DS, you might be able to eat more protein at a time than that, so adjust ..... Maybe eat 1/2 of the served protein and zero of the carbs.

again, this can get pricey, but it's kind of the 'cost of admission' for being on vacation

Kath

iloveravens
on 10/13/15 6:34 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

There are ready to drink protein shakes once you're past security or you can just bring powder and make your own.

Copy and pasted from a recent post of mine:

I travel a lot.

I pack crystal light packets, jerky, nuts (sparingly), Quest bars, PB2. At restaurants I go for protein first then veggies. I stay away from rolls and no alcohol for me. If the hotel has free breakfast I love having eggs but stay away from the "continental breakfast" that is usually all carbs. Don't forget a blanket for the plane (you will freeze)!!

Other snack suggestions: laughing cow wedges & turkey pepperoni, yogurt, moon cheese, tuna packets, sonoma jacks cheese spreads, cheese sticks, PB2 & dannon lite & fit yogurts. Oh and don't forget the Miralax.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

NYMom222
on 10/13/15 9:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I like the 'don't forget the Miralax' funny...not funny

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active