Birth Control?

floweringgemini
on 10/14/15 7:08 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I am scheduled for surgery on Monday. How long before I can take birth control again? I use seasonique so the lack of periods and security of not getting pregnant is something I am in a hurry to get back to. I know that there are other methods to prevent pregnancy. I just wonder how long before I can use my preferred method again?

Maria27
on 10/14/15 7:59 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It depends on what type of surgery you are having. Oral contraceptives are not effective after some surgeries. I switched to the Mirena IUD and couldn't be happier because it is the most secure and stops periods completely. So I recommend it no matter what surgery you are having.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

floweringgemini
on 10/14/15 8:09 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I had Mirena after I had my son and it was physically painful for me. The security was great but can't do it. I didn't think about the fact that we absorb things differently after surgery and it might not work. Might have to have my tubes tied

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/15/15 7:09 am

Nova ring is one method that is not oral.

As for tubal ligation - check non surgical Essure... Google that and find out of you a candidate.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BUFFY M.
on 10/14/15 8:23 pm - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

The surgeon told me to wait a month after surgery before going back on the pill.

Maria27
on 10/14/15 8:28 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

We do not absorb as much after RNY, so this is not a good idea. Most people change to a more reliable method or use two methods. I suggest that you do some research on this issue. Getting pregnant during the weight loss period is really bad for the developing fetus.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

BUFFY M.
on 10/14/15 8:32 pm - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

Oh! ooops I totally blanked. I take birth control to regulate my periods, not as a birth control. So, yes I'd look into another form of birth control too. Ask your surgeon/doctor. I don't need to worry, I have my tubes tied

jamrodriguez
on 10/14/15 11:45 pm

I went back after 3 weeks. My doctor's main concern was the increased risk of blood clots, so once I was active again he gave me the go-ahead. But also I'm a sleever so no malabsorption to worry about. I take TriNessa.

Marine_Princess81
on 10/16/15 10:12 pm

I did the implanon implant in my arm, its good for three years, no monthly visitor or anything.. No weight gain, no crazy mood swings... I don't even know its there unless i flex. I have no had two different ones, due to being 6 years out... Had on removed at my three year mark, got pregnant with our now three year old. At my 6 week check up post baby i had my second one placed. I am due to go in and have a new one placed.

Look into it... its not that bad, they numb your arm and slip it in... I have an IUD's and other forms of BC and this one is by far the best...

Take care.

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/20 11:08 am

Yes, the implant is a very reliable and convenient method of birth control. I used it for three years. But now, I decided to take a break, and use the calendar method of birth control. Yes, as a man very often on business trips) And if there are any unforeseen situations, such as unprotected intercourse, then I immediately take emergency contraception.

Most Active