Optifast

Anita Jo
on 10/25/15 9:25 am - Elmira, NY

i had my surgery 2003

just was wondering if anyone tried optifast i thought about trying it.. after having a baby i gained 50 pounds

Racewalker48
on 10/25/15 10:40 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Yes, I tried Optifast. I liked the flavor, it just wasn't satisfying or filling. I lost about 15lbs and gained it back and then some. I could not maintain consuming only 500 calories a day while I weighed 222lbs. After the Optifast program I got a referral to a bariatric surgeon. I think anyone can lose weight on the Optifast program. At some point though, you still have to deal with real food once you reach goal.

White Dove
on 10/25/15 12:49 pm - Warren, OH

Years ago Oprah lost down to 119 pounds by consuming nothing but Optifast for many months. She gained it all back and more when she started eating food again.

If you had weight loss surgery, then you still have a tool to work with. You can lose the weight again by cutting calories. It is lot cheaper than Optifast and much better odds of maintaining.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Chickenboob
on 10/26/15 6:26 am - Rockland, Canada

Hi White Dove, I think you should give her the same advice that you gave me. It is working and much appreciated! I am down 26 pounds since September 6. Thanks again for your help.

K

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

The Salty Hag
on 10/26/15 7:15 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I was on Optifast 800 for 30 days prior to my RNY in 2013, but it's not a good choice for us after surgery. I'm not sure which product you were referring to as there are quite a few. There is a high protein Opti that is geared toward post-ops, but there are protein shakes out there with much better stats, and made with better quality protein. All that being said, I'd actually avoid going back on a liquid diet, especially since I still have a working pouch. Have you been back to your surgeon? Can you be seen to make sure your stoma isn't stretched? If all is well with your guts, then you already have everything you need to lose your regain.

The best way to lose that extra weight is to go back to basics.

Eat like you did when you were first on solids. Focus on dense, lean protein, non-starchy veggies, get plenty of liquids during your day and weigh or measure out your portions and don't eat more than you've portioned out. Cut out processed, white carby foods if you've started eating them. ( no rice, pasta, cereal, bread, potatoes and any other junk foods. ) Try to avoid fast food, unless you're 100% positive you can make good choices. If you had RNY, make sure you aren't drinking with your meals.

It will take time, and it won't be nearly as easy to lose as it was when you were newly post-op, but it can be done.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/26/15 4:14 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I lost 90 lbs on Optifast back in the early '90s. Once I stopped it, the weight piled back on.

If you had surgery, you already have a great tool in place to help you lose weight. Is it not working?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views