Absolutely no restriction...I dont' thing surgery worked

nakitah1
on 12/6/15 5:17 am

So your advice is to listen to strangers instead of written instructions from my doctor?  Too many psuedo doctors on here for me.  And anyone who takes medical advice from strangers over that of a real doctor is crazy. 

Btw...you're making a few assumptions in your comment.  You should re-read my original post.  Only once did I eat two cups of pureed chili and I don't get full. 

Joemac9408
on 12/6/15 5:40 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Well good luck on your journey.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

rocky513
on 12/6/15 5:42 am - WI

If you are only going to listen to your doctor's instructions, why are you on a public forum asking questions?  We have all had doctor's plans and we are sharing them with you. You can take what you want and disregard the rest.  

A word of caution to you:  Many of the people trying to help you have lived this WLS life for a long time and have learned a lot about what to do and what not to do through trial and error.  I would trust that advice more than the advice from a surgeon who is a great "cutter" but knows NOTHING about the actual "living with the surgery".  

Many of us have been around these boards long enough to watch people FAIL BIG after surgery.  They refuse to change the way they relate to food.  They push the limits and "test the waters" rather than following the rules. We have also seen people die from ruptured suture lines because they chose to over stuff their pouch/sleeve.  

Do what you want at your own peril.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

nakitah1
on 12/6/15 5:53 am

I asked if anyone else had the same experience and if so, how did it turn out.

Did you really think I came online for medical advise instead of contacting a real doctor?.....LOL

Who said anything about testing waters or pushing limits?  Clearly people read what ever they want to read insted of what was actually written.

Unbelievable all the assumptions people are making!!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/6/15 6:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, other people have had this experience. We see it often. Many people try to eat until full. The technical term for those people is "morbidly obese."

Good luck following your asinine plan. It truly is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You don't have to be a doctor to figure out when something is wrong. Our doctors told us to do just the opposite of yours. We're at goal and maintaining, very happily. You came here complaining about lack of results and extreme frustration. Who do you think is right, our doctors or yours?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 12/6/15 4:18 pm - WI

You ate two cups of chili, putting 16 ounces of food in a stomach made to hold 2 ounces.  That is called pushing the limits.  You kept eating even though you knew that it was too much food (which is why you are here asking the question).  You ate that much to see if you could.  That is called testing the waters.  It doesn't matter if you did it one time or a dozen.  All it takes is one time to rupture your suture line and you die.

You are getting good advice because we care about you and want you to succeed.

Good luck to you... you'll need it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NHPOD9
on 12/6/15 6:03 am

Your surgeon/center is pretty worthless if you were never given postop guidelines other than eat until full. That is very uncommon, and I would even argue criminal, seeing that your nerves were cut and you may not feel restriction for weeks. People have died from eating too much too soon after surgery. Why your surgeon is risking his/her medical career dispensing dangerous advice floors me.  

It also shows you did very little research if you thought you could eat the same amounts after surgery as you did before. But you obviously know best, so good luck to you.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 5:10 am, edited 12/5/15 9:56 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I, and possibly many others, were alarmed at what you ate and are concerned that you would end up in the ER.  I told you my experience.  Take it or leave it, no reason to be snarky.  I do not know how to address hunger level without discussing portion size.  That's just me. 

If I were you, since you are not happy with your progress, I would be doing a lot of research on post-op guidelines. And having a discussion with my surgeon. Here is one that is "more normal."

http://evans.amedd.army.mil/ncd/PDFs/Bariatric%20Booklet.pdf

Sharon

nakitah1
on 12/6/15 3:14 pm

Your post implies this is a common occurence and I take offense to that.  I happened ONCE and it was enough of a red flag for me to reach out to my doctor to see what he thinks.  But you and a few others go on like I'm stuffing my face and not taking my surgery seriously and giving me advice on portion control and what ever else. 

Not only have I followed my instructions religiously but I have sailed through this whole process easily.  No pain, little if any inflammation, discharged from hospital early, able to get in all my fluids and protein so I don't have to worry about hair loss or dehydration,  back to my one hour walks two days after surgery, incision are healing beautifully and lucky enough that my doctor didn't use staples or stitches...just steri-strips that fell off after a week...and I could go on.

So yes, you were offending, and anyone else implying I am abusing my pouch from a one time occurence.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 4:25 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you choose to waste your time being offended - have at it.  You are entitled to feel whatever you choose.  They are your feelings, after all.

I repeat my best wishes for you and that: If I were you, since you are not happy with your progress, I would be doing a lot of research on post-op guidelines. And having a discussion with my surgeon. Here is one that is "more normal."

http://evans.amedd.army.mil/ncd/PDFs/Bariatric%20Booklet.pdf

I will not be reading any more of this thread, someone else maybe able to help you.

Best of luck with your progress.

Sharon

Most Active