"I've Got Something Just for You!"

handtlkr
on 1/2/16 8:06 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

I can't COUNT how many times new acquaintances, and old ones as well, uninvitedly, approached me with their "newest weight loss" remedies.  A bunch of Snake Oil!  People just assume that because you're weight challenged, you're up for the newest junk they want to draw you in to their pyramid schemes!  I was invited to one, I can't even remember the name of the junk, and had NO plans to attend, but, since I am a licensed interpreter for the deaf, was asked to come interpret for some deaf who wanted to go hear their latest spill of junk science.  As I watched people wrap themselves up with plastic wrap over a gauze on their waist, then go into their prepared speech on the benefits of their junk, I watched them pour cooking oil into a glass of water to simulate body fat.  Then they opened a capsule of their "magic potion" and poured into a heap on top of the oil in the glass of water.  In about 15 minutes, that portion of oil and contents of the capsule sank to the bottom of the glass, suddenly.  EVERYONE was Amazed at how this substance worked!  People were purchasing this junk, without noting that the rest of the oil sat on the surface, having not been weighted down by the capsule, or the fact that the oil under the heap of capsule content was breaking up at all. I've been approached by Plexius, Herba Life, whatever, whatever.  I have NEVER been one to buy into that junk science, but I don't appreciate others assuming because I am plus-sized, I should WANT to know about their latest pyramid scheme. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

handtlkr
on 1/2/16 8:10 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

ACHIEVE was the most recent one I was approached by.  I was trying to remember the newest scheme I've seen to date.

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/3/16 5:42 am

So many people are looking for the magic pill.. A quick way to lose weight ... 

Maybe it is time for you to learn to say - "I am not interested". 

And if asked to be an interpreter - unless you are getting paid and it is a part of your job - I would tell to the person asking for you to do this that you don't believe those claims and you will not be part of pyramid schemes.. 

Good luck..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 1/3/16 6:18 am
RNY on 03/23/15

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. When I had cancer my cousin gave me this special juice. We called it Jesus Juice because it was so stupid. So many people approached me with "remedies". Then when I had migraines I had more people approach me with cures. Everyone thinks they know everything. I try to look at it like they're being helpful but it can be hard when they seem to think that I should be cured in like 5 seconds and they don't get that my situation is totally different than whatever they've "heard" about.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/16 3:10 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

"We called it Jesus Juice because it was so stupid." This just made me laugh out loud!!  

Laura in Texas
on 1/3/16 7:03 am

I had my RNY 7 years ago. A lot of my friends who had surgery the same time as me have battled big regains. And most of them have become distributors for all the latest fads. They have a tool that works when used properly, but they still think they need these products. It makes me sad. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1371 views