Colonoscopy prep ?/ warning

coreysmom
on 1/11/16 3:46 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Hello all.

i have been diagnosed with a Hiatel hernia with no intended surgery.  At the end of January I will be doing a lap surgery to see if there is any other hernias or blockage due to some new issues I am having.

I am due to undergo a colonoscopy tomorrow and was reading the directions on the bowel prep when I noticed that the warning said to not drink bowel prep if there is a bowel blockage or obstruction. An opening in the wall of your intestine (which sounds like a Hiatel hernia). Does anyone know if this is safe to take with the lap surgery to find out if I do in fact have more internal things going? The doctor has been paged and I am waiting on her to call back. Just wanted to know your thoughts.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/11/16 6:15 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You will need to talk to your doctor - but a hiatal hernia affects the esophagus, not the intestine.  This might help you have a more complete discussion with your doctor. 

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia

You do not say if you are post or pre-WLS.

PS - If your doctor has you go ahead with the prep,  Isopure protein (at GNC) is clear and the non-red ones can be used as your fluids during pre, so you can get protein in.

Sharon

coreysmom
on 1/11/16 6:50 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Thank you Sharon.

I am almost 7yrs post op Rny.

The doctor gave me the go ahead to start the prep.

Wished I'd known about the Isopure protein..now I'm stuck in the house until tomorrow the day of the colonoscopy.

Maybe I was secretly looking for a way out of the exam. Lol

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/16 5:48 am

As someone who deals with constipation post op RNY - I had to do the prep for 2 days to get really clean... It was not nice, but effective. 

1 day regular prep did not work for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 1/12/16 8:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

2 DAYS?    You are one tough lady. I did the prep (once) and liked to died!  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/16 11:08 am

one day did not make anything to move... so next time I had to do that 2 days... one day liquid + lots of miralax.. the next day the prep.. .  

But it worked 

My body has delayed reaction... 1st day - my body tells  me _ "I'll think about that..." and start going the second day... then I keep going for 2 more days after all test is done... 

My gastro think I have a "loop somewhere" or narrowing... or just because of my RNy the food/liquid transition time through my gut has been compromised - RNy induced gastroparesis ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 1/12/16 1:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am pretty tough but that stuff you have to drink was like drinking sal****er. I had to stand over the kitchen sink and gagged it down.  I told the Dr. I better be squeaky clean as I will never do this again LOL

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active