Lap Band placed 2003, removed 2013... Going through process for RNY. Failed psych eval...

kyhmm72
on 3/8/16 5:14 am
RNY on 06/14/16

Good morning everyone. I was a member here many years ago when I had my lap band procedure in 2003. My life turned upside down two days after my procedure and I have to say that life has not slowed down since. My band was removed in 2013, and I have gained approximately 100 pounds since then.

I am going through the process and hoping to have RNY mid April. I learned on Friday that I failed my psych evaluation, and that my anxiety and tension are off the charts. I'm being referred to a psych group for medication management. I'm not on any medication now, but I expect a prescription. I hope I can get in soon to get this taken care of.

I guess I'm just looking for some consolation that everything will work out, as planned... whether it be my plan or not.

Thanks!

Helen

DonnaMaria
on 3/8/16 9:34 am

Helen,

it will all work out. I had my lap band in 2006 and did pass the psych evaluation and shouldn't have. I was so anxious and not in a good mental place. Get on your medication and then revisit the surgery.

my doctor was trying since 2011 to get me the sleeve. Insurance kept denying me. Finally I switched insurance and was approved. When the time is right it will happen. 

tattitude
on 3/12/16 12:37 am

My psych eval is scheduled for March 29th and it couldn't be coming at a worse time.  I have been suffering severe depression for many months since my anti-depressant med quit working for me.  I am midway in the process of weaning off it and starting a different med.  My moods and symptoms are all over the place.... crying for little to no reason, irritable, insomnia, binge eating... I wish the timing was better.  After jumping thru hoops since last August, this will be my last hurdle before I can get a surgery date.  I am SO afraid I will fail my eval as well.

So, you're not alone.... we very well may be in the same boat.  I am a firm believer that things happen for reasons we often don't understand so I am trying to keep a positive outlook and focus on the ray of light at the end of the tunnel called HOPE for the future.

What's the worst thing that could happen?  You will get proper treatment for your optimum mental health and your surgery may be delayed for a short time.  Yes, it sucks to have to wait longer but it sounds like you have a lot to deal with right now and may need this time out to get your head on straight, set priorities and goals and work towards them.  Caring for yourself properly after WLS takes forethought, planning, insight, discipline and direction.  Be honest with yourself.  Are you mentally ready to take on yet more things to deal with when you're already overwhelmed?

Ticker 87883

Height:  5' 8"  Initial Consultation:  10/6/2015  HW:  286.5   CW:  277

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/16/16 9:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Med changes are the WORST! Hang in there, you can do it :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 3/16/16 9:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

They simply want you in a good place before they operate.  Get yourself under control and you'll be in a better state of mind for success.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active