Met with surgeon ... figuring out next steps

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 5:32 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

So my wife and I met with the surgeon yesterday. We talked for a little bit, discussed which surgery he thinks would be best for me which is also the way I was thinking (VSG). 

Am self pay, so dont have any hoops to jump thru with insurance, so after we talked I met with office manager to schedule a date. They are booking out into May, but do surgeries Tues/Thurs only.... Trying to figure out when makes the most sense to have (as far as what Thursday) with work and such... They say 2 weeks off of work after surgery, but theres just no way. I have a desk job anyway that requires me to do some walking, so I think I'd be back to work on Monday maybe Tuesday at the latest.

Now its just trying to decide if I want to save up all or most of the cost ($10,600) or take out a medical loan (which I've been preapproved for)... Just hate to go into such a good size amount of debt.

Last night told my wife maybe I'll sell my motorcycle... I have always said I'd never sell it, that I wanted to keep my first motorcycle forever. Turn it into an heirloom.

She looked at me in disbelief and mentioned that I wouldnt/shouldnt do that.. but I just want to get healthy. I can always buy a new bike...

Time to do some reflecting...

pammieanne
on 3/23/16 5:57 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Hi Chris,

Don't sell the motorcycle... look at it this way. Yes, you can buy another one, but then you will be going into debt again, much like you would if you did the medical loan now. Either way, it's debt. If the motorcycle is of great sentimental value, you can't replace it anyway... 

I work a desk job and I was hoping to only take a week off from my job... of course I'm having RNY, so I think it's a little longer on the recovery time than the sleeve. Just be sure, with the sleeve, that you don't already have any acid reflux issues, because that particular surgery doesn't work well with GERD or reflux.

Good luck to you, and keep us updated on your progress!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 7:02 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Ya... am texting with my wife today. If I sell the bike, we would be basically $500 away from having all the money (assuming we get a $5,000 check we think we are).

If I did sell my bike, I would just save up the cash to buy a new one rather than do it on a loan. Was looking at how much could sell for... Looks like maybe $5,000 max, which would give me $2000 after the loan... which sucks because I paid $10,000 :P so looks like I wont be selling it. Doesnt make financial sense to take such a loss...

I work in addition to my full time job for Shipt, which is grocery delivery. Get an order, go to Publix and buy everything then deliver to persons house. With it I average around 700 a month maybe in additional income just working Sat/Sunday. I couldnt do it for a month (they say 6 weeks for no lifting), but after that I'd be on track...

The loan is only $300 a month which is definitely manageable... her motorcycle has 2 more payments left then thats $500/month we have available...

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/23/16 9:18 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Is your health at stake - what is your BMI/wt/comorbidity?   If you really need the surgery - get it, ASAP.  Of course, sell the motorcycle. Getting WLS sooner means being healthy sooner. A motorcycle in the garage is NOTHING compared to being healthy. 

But when reading your post, I don't get the sense that your health is really impaired by your weight. (I may not be picking up any health-related urgency on your part).   Do you really need the surgery?  Once I realized that surgery was the best option for me - I went all in to get it.

FYI - even sleeve surgery will change your life.  

Best wishes with the decisions ahead.

Sharon

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 10:23 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

My health is at stake as far as long term absolutely.

I am not diabetic, I do not have severe comorbidities. 

If I wait to save up for the surgery its fine, I should not die tomorrow, if thats what you mean.

Jjinne
on 3/23/16 3:36 pm

A bike is just a thing. Things don't matter.  Your health does. It should come before all things.

That's pretty much how I see it.

:shrug:

Kprice1980
on 3/24/16 11:23 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 04/13/16

Good luck Chris on your decision if it was me I would sell the bike if you don't owe on it. The less you have to pay out the less you'll have to pay on monthly. I feel bad for you that it has to come out of pocket wish you luck on your new journey?

Most Active