New PBS Documentary About WLSers - "All of Me"

Batwingsman
on 3/24/16 10:47 am - Garland, TX

Just saw this film on the local PBS station last night, following a group of about 1 1/2 dozen lady WLSers around:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/all-of-me/

The film was kind of disquieting for me, though ..  IMHO the producers were really playing up the "fat" angle in the story rather than show how WLS can be successful, since most, if not all, of the pre-ops appeared to be 60+ BMIs ..  along with all the "BBW" dating stuff, "fat songs", etc.  Also seemed strange in that the post-ops appeared to still be at least MO (which would only make sense if they were just a few months out of of their WLS?).  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Kathy S.
on 3/24/16 10:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's all about the ratings my friend...  No education, inspiration in most of the TV shows about Weight Loss 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 3/24/16 8:43 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I watched that movie about a month ago online and it made me cringe. I couldn't relate to any of those women.

I felt the exact opposite before WLS as how those women seemed to feel. I was ashamed and wanted to hide and was disgusted with myself. There is no way I would have been going to BBW shindigs and dancing around, and I for sure didn't go out looking for "chubby chasers".

I think that show just added to the stigma of WLS. Disappointing...

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/16 5:20 am, edited 3/25/16 10:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

sorry i missed it.  i'll look for a rerun. thanks. 

whether a good example or a bad one, i usually learn something from them.

Sharon

Most Active