Done with the seminar, appointment in 2 weeks

dangeloc
on 4/6/16 8:02 pm

I almost backed out of the seminar today. But i went. I am now so excited to go to my first appointment. They are telling me that my reflux (GERD) will heal up and that ulcers after surgery are not related to per-suregry issues, rather from smoking, NSAIDS use, and a 3rd thing that I can't remember. Then they said that surgery will most likely help with arthritis which is my biggest issue. A post-surgery lady was there and she had been in a wheelchair and now is jogging and I can see she walks with a limp, but if she is jogging from being in a wheelchair...needless to say I cried 3 times during the seminar because now I have hope where before there was none!

RNY on 12/22/14

It took some us a long time to get to that first info meeting - and we have gone on to success with the surgery.   Investigate, ask questions, take notes, and really understand the directions, because the better you understand the instructions, the better you will do long term.  

I would also suggest NOW going to the public info mtg for another surgeon so you can compare and make sure you get one that jives with you.  You can expect to be with them for years, so get a good match for you. 

For me, I was such a defeated dieter that although intellectually I knew WLS was my best option, at my core, I did not really expect t to work for me.  I was totally shocked when I got under 250, then when I lost 25 pound, I thought well, maybe it will work for me, cool.  125 pounds later, I am delighted. 

But, I knew the stats, that many people have initial success, but struggle with regain.  The surgeon I worked with addressed this in the first public meeting and I felt he would not abandon me if I had regain, but would continue to work with me (as disappointed and frustrated as I would be).  You may have different concerns, but make sure that you discuss them and feel they are appropriately addressed.

If it's helpful, here's was my thinking about why I had WLS:

Most likely your reasons are more than your appearance. I would suggest making a list and then you can check them off over the next months and have motivation to keep the weight off.  For what it's worth, here is the logic I had for surgery: 

1 - My knee is messed-up and if I do not get the weight off, I will be looking at knee surgery.

2 - I just lost 100+ pounds with a conventional diet and put 90% of it back on within 2 years, so I am not one of the lucky 3-5% who will keep the weight off.

3 - WLS is easier to recover from than knee surgery.

4 - WLS was (and is) the right option for me. 

5- Things that will be better:  enjoying the outdoors, clothes, . . .

I was more than nervous - before surgery I updated my will, changed my insurance benficiaries, had everything notarized, made sure a lawyer-friend had a folder with all my important papers, (I had the advanced directives form to fill out but I did not get around to it).  That is just me - be prepared.  But, now all that stuff is done. 

But, when it was all said and done, and I was in pre-op and felt the first wave of sedative kick in, I looked at the clock and my reaction was - 7:42, my new lucky number!  I had difficult times - most of us had, but pre-op clarity will help you get through a lot of post-op crap.

May I humbly suggest you generate a list and write down your motivations for surgery.  It might help you prevent 'buyers remorse' and give you focus to get through any difficult times. And give you something to do while you are waiting for the insurance approval. 

Best of Luck, or more currently, MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!

Sharon

dangeloc
on 4/7/16 6:53 am

What is WLS?

Vibiana
on 4/9/16 1:56 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I was all set to go to my introductory seminar on January 4. On December 31 I fell and shattered my left elbow, also dislocating it and tearing a bunch of ligaments. On January 5 I had surgery to replace the radial head, pin together the dislocation, and sew up the ligaments. I was out of work altogether for five weeks. On February 5 they took the pins out, recasted it, and I went back to work half-time on February 8. On February 10 they took the cast off; on February 15 I began physical therapy (OUCH!) and on March 7 I increased my work hours to 30 per week. On April 4 I started back full time although I'm still doing physical therapy three times a week, I just had to shuffle my schedule around a little to get 40 hours in. I'm up way before dawn to get to PT and work till 7 PM. It's definitely slowed down the WLS journey (WLS = weight loss surgery) since I didn't get to a seminar until February 15 and I didn't see the dietitian till March 30. But I met with the surgeon yesterday and I'm excited things are finally getting under way. I've already dropped four or five pounds toward the total loss goal of 155, and I'm just so grateful that even though I had to go through all this pain, I can see it for what it is--a GIANT wake-up call. Three hundred and thirty-three pounds crashing down on an arm is bad news. LOL

We'll likely be having our surgeries within a month or two of each other--mine will be sometime in October. You'll be in my thoughts!

Most Active