Things to do while you wait out your stall, wall, or whatever you call it!

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/8/16 10:47 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I read "the dreaded stall" post all the time.  They normally go something like this: Hi I lost Xlbs before and Xlbs after my WLS and now it's been 3 weeks and not one pound has fallen off this week.  I feel, bad, sad, mad, crazy, like tossing out the scale, or fill in your personal thoughts.  So instead lets think of things we can do to fill in the time instead.  I'm hit my 3 week wall and I'm not worried I'll get by it, but in the mean time my scale has had to go to therapy because it's mom doesn't like it let think of other things to do.

• Cleaned out my fridge last night of all my "start foods".  So the "matrix soup" I was eating week one, I've tossed that out.  For early stage people that was unflavored Fage greek yogurt, thinned with some unsweetened apple sauce, and some unflavored protein.  I think these foods were good for the time I needed them but I've upgraded and now they can move on to the trash or be repurposed.
  • Look at the foods you are eating and hopefully tracking and see what's the best bang for your buck.  What gives you the best protein to fat/carb ratio.  Those foods you want to pull forward and work with more than the others.  If there are any carb crazy things hidden like juice, flavored yogurt, or other items that got you buy those first few weeks, it's time to tell them by by and start working with foods you  are getting great value from.
  • Fitness, I've been feeling much better, some rolling normal energy to low energy but I'm now ready for getting back to walks.  I did a 1 mile walk last night and a few incision area were a little tender after but the rest of me felt great.  So if your feeling good enough start looking for some light work out type activities to do.
  • Hobby time! I decided that with all the eating out I'm not doing I have a lot more money in my bank account.  My husband and I were notorious for eating out 2-3 meals a day almost every day.  Now we eat at home and he's eating far less and loosing weight too and well I'm eating so much less right now that i can get 2-3 meals out of a bowl of soup I normally would have had in one.  So you might find you have a little spare money.  I decided I wanted to race RC cards, there's a shop with tracks down the street.  It's an interest to my husband and I and there are several good things about a hobby outside your home.  One your not where your normal eating habits are at such as home, you are out so your not likely to be eating because your busy doing something.  I'm looking forward to having something more to do outside of the house that gets me around new people who have no idea about my WLS and we can just talk about the hobby at hand.

There's some of my ideas, let's hear yours.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/8/16 11:56 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Cool post! And cool hobby! What made you decide to pick that up? Just a lingering interest in the past?

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/8/16 12:18 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Yeah me and the hubs were out wondering around a park and some teens had their buggy off roading around in the grass and a baseball diamond.  I said... man I used to have a couple of those and LOVED them.  He did too of course, I think we were split from the same egg most days.  We talked about how much fun we had and then just went shopping for a couple 1/18s.  I'm telling you they fly like mad compared to my old cars.  Theses little brushless motors are killer, imagine a little 1/18 running at 30mph no upgrades flying off jumps and bumps and floating across the grass. 

Tonight at the track they are doing oval night all classes and I fully plan on looking into their 1/10 M05 Mini cooper racing.  I've watched videos and they are zoomy but they also roll over on the drop of a hat and have high laughter appeal, plus who doesn't love a mini cooper!  The group last night had them on the twist and turn track everyone in the crowd had a great time.  

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/16 12:50 pm

I'm building my wife a garden and firepit and putting up the hammock I got her for her birthday. I fixed my kids bikes yesterday and we had a blast. I'm still going to detail my car in and out.

18 holes of golf tomorrow and then ? I also work out daily and work also. 

I had fun using the time in my stall learning what and where the weight actually left my body. I stalked Dx for a month, brilliant man. 

Oh yeah, and the "maritals" are incredible now that I'm down to boot camp weight. For me I had 1 stall, at 7 months, after my poor body dropped 175. It was a little scary, until I realized how stupid I was for not trying harder to understand my body's thoughts on losing so much weight. I'm back on the freefall train. 10 pounds in a week. going steady. Almost at goal.

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/8/16 12:56 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

/High five on keeping your head.  I think that's important.  Just gota wait it out, I lost 35lbs in a month... body has said "WHAT" and now I need to let it readjust and it'll go again.  

Fun stuff your doing.  I think I'd like a fire pit, we just moved into a house with a nice blank slate for a back yard. 

seabexlose
on 4/8/16 11:33 pm, edited 4/8/16 4:33 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

My son used to LOVE watching videos of RC trucks by this guy named Tobias Braeker - the detail was incredible.  I can totally see how people would get way into that. 

Thanks for that post - I am still a few days pre-op and have been weighing daily during this stage because I have a certain weight goal I'm supposed to be making before the surgery.  I have been thinking about what I want my relationship to the scale to be like after the surgery...probably going to do my best to be a weekly weigh-er and then put the dumb thing in the closet where I can't see it the rest of the week.  Worried I'll get obsessed.

We just moved to a new house three weeks ago (because weight-loss surgery isn't enough for me this year, I wanted to add the stress of first time home-buying )  I have lots of mature landscaping that I need to spend the summer figuring out how to care for - starting with identifying what all the plants are!  Hoping to spend lots of time distracting myself with that, and having improved health and stamina for the job.

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/9/16 6:31 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Your into self torture! I moved in November last year to our first house together.  Been having a nice time enjoying small projects and a bit of landscaping too.

Im a weird tech person so I weigh on myfit bit scale each day and it updates to my app and from there to myfitnesspal.  If I was going to be be sensitive I'd be mad about my stall and 2lb weight gain, but that could be due to a million reasons and so I Ku hand to say: do I feel more active, have I been sticking to my plan, and could it just be the lady hormones saying retain water like a camel!?! Yeah so me and that scale just got to go our ways today . Lol 

Neesie57
on 4/9/16 12:55 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I have many hobbies, actually too many, but the one that keeps me out of eating trouble is lamp working.  Sitting at my torch with beautiful rods of glass, making beautiful beads, keeps me very focused.  Once the torch is on I'm lost in the flame, and the music I listen to with my noise cancelling headphones makes the time fly by.  

Quilting and knitting are wonderful, but they keep me in the family room, too close to the kitchen.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/9/16 6:34 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Wow that sounds like a really fun hobby.  Glass blowing/making is always so interesting when I see people do it with fire.  So entrancing! It's really cool you know how to do that.  

RNY on 12/22/14

Yeah for new activities and hobbies to enjoy!!!

Sharon