intussusception, Bypass and reversal?

Bette B.
on 4/22/16 5:19 am

My dear friend, who had bypass 12 years ago, is in the hospital today for surgery to fix a THIRD intussusception. She's terrified and justifiably so.

Have any of you had this condition and have you had it more than once? She's been told that, without a doubt, it's caused by the bypass. After having this happen three times, I have to wonder if she should consider having her bypass reversed and going with something this the sleeve.

Is a reversal even possible? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/16 7:17 am

What is that?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/22/16 9:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 4/22/16 8:20 am - TX

I know people have had their RNY's "taken down" - reattaching everything back to what it was and closing off the stoma.  And, yes, people have revised to the sleeve from that.  But the take down itself is serious surgery, and I'd insist on a surgeon who was experienced in that procedure.

I'm so sorry for your friend.  Swinging chickens for her!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/22/16 9:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Reversal would be a good question for her surgeon, as it will probably depend on the current state of her digestive system.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/16 9:09 am

anyone who told her that RNy caused it and reversing it - will fix it - needs to put that in writing... and give guarantee... 

A friend of mine deal with that and she never had RNy or any other WLS surgery.   this can happen to anyone... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/22/16 11:16 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I would want to know what about the RNY caused this and could that be addressed?  Obstructions of small bowel was listed as post-surg complication, but I do not know if that includes this issue that your friend has. 

I hope that additional problem solving finds the root cause without surgery.

Sharon

Kathy S.
on 4/22/16 12:59 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Bette,

So sorry to hear about your friend.  My best advice is to find the most experienced surgeon with this condition and go from here.  Sending good thoughts.  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Amy R.
on 4/23/16 8:51 am

Your friend couldn't have a better advocate than you Bette.  Jus****ching you post all of these years and seeing your vigilance makes it obvious that she is one lucky woman.

I don't know anything about any of this other that when our intestines are messed up it is serious (and highly painful) business.   Three times is way too many.  I stopped and prayed for her and I truly hope she is healed and quickly.

Hopefully she finds her answers.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1372 views