Ten Years Ago Today!

Boogaloo
on 5/15/16 5:41 am - PA

Hi All,

Yes, you can tell by the title of this post that I am celebrating my 10 year surgiversay.  Ten years ago I took a dramatic step towards health and wellness through weight loss and bariatric surgery.  I lost 120 lbs post surgery (and 16 lbs preparing for surgery).  I lost over 100 inches.  I also lost my fear of walking into a room and worrying that others would judge me because of my size.  I lost my fear of trying new things for fear that I wouldn't be able to physically accomplish them.  I lost my fear of adventure, in fact I now embrace new adventures.  I teach exercise classes, I travel, and I discovered that I love hiking, biking, kayaking, and more. 

I am writing today because this site was so critical to my early success.  I had so many questions and the folks on this site had such great wisdom and knowledge.  Everyone was kind, supportive and generous of spirit.  I am writing today because I hope my story can help even one person who is scared or struggling.  I am writing today for the newby that is wondering what the future might bring, or the veteran who is slipping back into old (pre surgery) habits. 

This isn't always easy. I have had to admit that I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and I sometimes find myself slipping back into old/presurgery habits.  When I do, I gain weight.  I now understand more than ever what everyone meant when they said the surgery is just a tool  I have to do the work.  Most times I do, sometimes I dont.  

Where ever you are on your journey, don't give up, reach out to others when you struggle, love yourself and know that you are beautiful and worthy of all the happiness in the world - now go out and get it!

Much love,

Lou 

roxytrim
on 5/15/16 8:08 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Thank you for your hard fought experiential narative.  We love hearing from the WLS'ers who have lots of mileage on 'em... happy !

Boogaloo
on 5/15/16 8:14 am - PA

You're welcome! I remember early on that I always wondered about those long-timers and wanted to hear from them so I promised myself that I would continue to reach out, best of luck to you in your journey!

Lou

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/16 4:40 am

What a wonderful post!  I am coming up on my 7-year surgiversary and in thinking about all the changes we make inside and out...being able to keep up at all is a miracle.  We have to be strong, we are strong, and we will continue to get stronger as time goes on!  Congratulations!

Boogaloo
on 5/18/16 7:00 am - PA

Thank you!!! Congratulations to you as well! You're right, we are strong it is all a miracle!

JA
on 5/16/16 8:04 am - East Haven, CT

Congratulations to you - wishing you continued success!!!

JA

Boogaloo
on 5/18/16 7:00 am - PA

Thank you!

Kathy S.
on 5/16/16 8:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome Back! We have missed you    It means the world to our newer members to hear from those that are several years out.  Truer words were never typed than the statement the surgery is a tool and we have to work it everyday.  We look forward to your wisdom 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Boogaloo
on 5/18/16 7:03 am - PA

Thank you :)

Although I am not often on this page, I hear the wisdom and advice in my head.  This site and the generous people who post their success, their fears, their struggles and their victories are great tools as well.  I will do my best to get on here more often!

Willie H.
on 5/17/16 1:46 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

All I can say is: Perfect post at a perfect time!! I really needed that. We're in a for a fight, but it's worthwhile-every single step, forward and backward!! Thanks!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"