Is the VSG a sleeve or a pouch?

swim_bike_smile
on 6/8/16 11:28 am
RNY on 06/13/16

That's why I wanted to check the site out.  :)  I thought it might be a useful tool

seattledeb
on 6/8/16 5:08 pm

It's a very useful place but it is what you make it. Your whole world is going to change soon. There is a lot of boring repetitive things that are going to be new and important to learn. This place is here 24 hours. There are a lot of voices and a lot of experience. Your choice though.

swim_bike_smile
on 6/8/16 7:33 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

Thank you Deb.  I really appreciate it.  I've found a lot of useful advice on this site so far.  :)  

hollykim
on 6/8/16 2:02 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, swim_bike_smile wrote:

I think this entire thread could be an example of why my surgeon is strongly against using forums, and when I asked her about which one she liked best she said "None of them.  Don't go on them.  Come to support group, and also use the ASMBS site."  haha!  :)  

well watch and see how well you do under your surgeons plan...

Deanna798
on 6/8/16 10:51 am, edited 6/8/16 3:52 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I've just read through a bunch of the comments and the discussion on here, and I just want to give a little story and a bit of advice.

I am an internet researcher (not by trade, but by my personality).  Meaning, I ask Dr. Google EVERYTHING.  I've had health issues for years, and even before surgery if I had a problem I was all over that ****  I would go into a doctors visit knowing as much as I could about a subject as I could.  I am an advocate for my health and have always tried to be. When I decided to get WLS, i found OH like 2 days after my initial group seminar.  I lurked, I read and I didn't do much talking for months.  As I got closer to surgery, i asked questions and I honestly felt like I had learned so much about WLS, and what to expect, and everything.  I had met with my NUT and been given my diet, etc.

Then I had surgery and I became a regular.  I remember responding to a thread about the phenomenon known as "Starvation Mode".  Because my NUT had told me that it was a thing and that if I had a stall at 4 or 5 months, that I should just up my food intake to it to break.  Mind you, I was like maybe 2 months post op at most when I posted about it.  I got jumped on for it, because the vets here have seen it time and time again, and honestly I'm convinced that starvation mode is a complete myth, just like drinking soda and chewing gum won't stretch my pouch.  I got really butthurt about being jumped on.  I didn't respond and post on it, because I'm not one to really enjoy confrontation.  But I stewed on it.  I stuck around, listened, with irritation, to the vets.  I let myself get over being jumped on because I finally realized that they were right.  I got over myself.

You might notice in my signature that it says that I knocked the chip off of my shoulder.  That has been in my signature for months, and for me at least I think it was a hurdle that I had to get over before I really feel like I could be honest with myself and my journey here.  I had to get over thinking I knew everything because I had done the research.  I don't know everything. Hell, even the vets here don't know everything, but they do know more about a lot of this **** that someone who's done some reading with Dr. Google.

This is not meant to be a slam, but I just wanted to post it because personally, i think that you need to see it.  Dude, take a breath, swallow a little pride and really try to see what you're doing here.  There is so much more here than just pouch vs. sleeve, or who's right and who's wrong, or whatever.  

Good luck to you!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mschwab
on 6/8/16 11:14 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Right there!  That is why you are such an important voice on OH, Deanna.  Thanks for your self awareness and insight.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

chassibi
on 6/8/16 11:43 am

You know I'm a newbie, but you're my hero D!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Deanna798
on 6/8/16 11:55 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Well, I see you on facebook with your kids and all of the stuff that you do and I think that YOU are the hero, and that I would love to be more like you!  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Amy R.
on 6/8/16 2:29 pm

This thread may have already run it's course but I do want to add a little something for the OP and those agreeing with him.

What would happen if an RnY post-op (who truly does have a pouch) that was in some serious chronic pain, complained to a fellow WLS'r that they couldn't get any serious pain relief anymore because of the no NSAID's rule.  This fellow post-op (a sleever who has a fully functioning stomach) has been referring to  his sleeve as a pouch since Day One.  The RnY patient knows that only only RnY's have a pouch so assumes the sleever actually had an RnY - otherwise why would he keep referring to a pouch?

The sleever advises the RnY post-op that he has no restrictions on NSAIDS and in fact uses them regularly to combat his own chronic pain   He contends that the NSAIDS don't bother his "pouch" at all and that his surgeon never mentioned avoiding NSAIDS.  The RnY post op figures a pouch is a pouch is a pouch and being desperate for pain relief goes back to using NSAIDS.

What do you think will eventually happen to the RnY post op person?

Do you see why it is important to differentiate between a sleeve and a pouch at least in this (OH) community?  Your insistence on using incorrect terminology is going to hurt someone.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 2:44 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I know this is my opinion, but I believe they would make mention of having had rny.

your situation is interesting though, I'm sleeved and am told to stay away from NSAIDs?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active